2012 Magazine Merit Award Rules & Procedures
1. Entrants must be members of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. Click here to join the SCBWI. It is essential that these procedures be followed carefully. Entries not in compliance may be considered ineligible.
2. Every magazine work for young people by an SCBWI member -– writer, artist, or photographer -– is eligible during the year of original publication. In the case of co-authored work, both authors must be SCBWI members.
3. Members must submit their own work. Required are four copies of each of the following:
4. Entries must be submitted ON or BEFORE December 15th of the year of publication (entry year). Entries received after December 15th are not eligible. Late submissions will not be returned, nor will notification be made.
- (a) The work in published form -- illustrators must send color photocopies or tearsheets.
- (b) Proof of publication showing the name of the magazine and date of issue (contents page or verification from editor).
- (c) Cover sheets must contain: the member's name as listed by the SCBWI, mailing address and phone number, title of entry, category (fiction, nonfiction, illustration or poetry), name of publication, and date of issue.
- (d) When submitting both article text and illustrations for consideration, send eight copies: four that stipulate author entry (fiction, nonfiction, or poetry) and four that stipulate illustrator entry.
5. All entries are judged by a panel of three published SCBWI members.
6. Submissions will not be returned. Award recipients will be announced the following August.
7. Work to be entered, as well as further enquiries, should be submitted to:
SCBWI Magazine Merit Awards
8271 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048