About the Award
The 2013 SCBWI Book Launch Award provides two annual awards of $2000 each for an author or illustrator to use for marketing a book scheduled for release during 2014.
The money can be used for any kind of promotional purpose that will increase sales and visibility of the book, such as launch events, speaking engagements, book tours, curriculum materials, advertising, book trailers, website development, or community events. With this award authors and illustrators can now take their marketing strategy into their own hands, something that is becoming increasingly important due to the ever-shrinking availability of marketing dollars in most publisher's budgets.
Applications must be postmarked later than June 1st and received by July 1st 2013.
The 2013 Book Launch Grant is available to PAL and full members of the SCBWI for a book with a publication date during the 2014 calendar year.
Two grants of $2,000 will be awarded annually.
Use of Award Money
Money from the grant may be used to promote your book including (but not limited to):
- Launch events
- Speaking engagements and book tours
- Curriculum materials
- Advertising, posters, postcards
- Book trailers
- Website development
- Book donations to local schools and libraries
Grants will be awarded based on:
- Strong marketing and implementation plan
- Demonstrated need (e.g. your publishing house is not dedicating a lot of marketing money for your book)
- Quality and professionalism of your book
Requirements for Recipients
Grant money must be used within one year of publication of your book. All recipients must send the following to the SCBWI by December 31st 2014:
- Documentation of use of grant money.
- A 250-word article appropriate for publication in the SCBWI Bulletin about your marketing experience.