Crystal Kite Member Choice Awards
View 2013 winners here!
To be eligible for the 2014 Crystal Kite Awards, be sure to update your member profile with the publication information about your book published in 2013 by a P.A.L. publisher by January 31, 2014. Simply log in at SCBWI, click on "Manage Profile" and the "Publications" tab. Enter your book published in 2013, and click the box that reads "Yes, I would like to submit this publication for Crystal Kite Awards nomination." Once voting has begun on February 1, 2014, no books will be able to be added to the competition.
· West (Washington/Oregon/Alaska/Idaho/Montana/North Dakota/South Dakota)
· Southwest (Nevada/Arizona/Utah/Colorado/Wyoming/New Mexico)
· Midwest (Minnesota/Iowa/Nebraska/Wisconsin/Illinois/Michigan/Indiana/Ohio)
· New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island)
· New York
· Atlantic (Pennsylvania/Delaware/New Jersey/Wash DC/Virginia/West Virginia/Maryland)
· Mid-South (Kansas/Louisiana/Arkansas/Tennessee/Kentucky/Missouri)
· Southeast (Florida/Georgia/South Carolina/North Carolina/Alabama/Mississippi)
· Middle East/India/Asia
· Australia/New Zealand
· The Americas (Canada/Mexico/Central & South America)
Rules & Procedures
1. For purposes of voting, SCBWI Regions have been grouped into Divisions based on member count.
2. Books entered in the competition must be first editions published by PAL accepted publishers within the previous calendar year (January 1st – December 31st.)
3. Deadline to submit title is January 31st.
4. Members enter the competition voluntarily by posting their books published in the current calendar year on their Manage Profile page at SCBWI.org, choosing the publisher from the drop-down menus and clicking the opt-in button to enter their book in the Crystal Kite competition. (If multiple books are published in the competition year, each book may be entered.)
5. Voting will open the first week in February, and take place in two rounds over six (6) weeks:
a. Round 1 voting opens February 1st and ends February 28th.
b. The five (5) books in each SCBWI Division that receive the highest number of votes in Round 1 will move on to the second round of voting as finalists.
c. Round 2 voting will take place during the first two weeks of March, beginning March 4th and closing on March 15th.
d. The book with the most votes in each SCBWI Division will be named the winner of the Crystal Kite Award for that division.
6. One vote per SCBWI member in each round of voting. (One vote for a book in the first round, and one vote for a book in the final round.)
7. Members may vote only within their division of residence.
8. Votes should be based on personal opinion and not influenced by campaigning of any kind. We want you to publiicize the awards and remind people to vote! WHat we can't allow is spamming, vote campaigning, or third-party marketing/campaigning for a specific members’ title(s) will be tolerated. Participation in such activity is grounds for immediate disqualification.
9. In the case of a tie, the Regional Advisors for that Division will cast the tie-breaking vote.
10. Winners will be announced on April 30th in a press release from SCBWI Headquarters. If April 30th falls on a weekend, the release will be sent out on the following Monday.
Award & Publicity
1. Press release from SCBWI Headquarters will go out on April 30th each year. If April 30th falls on a weekend, the release will be sent out on the following Monday.
2. Award will be formally announced/presented at Regional Conferences.
3. Winner receives a crystal/glass kite engraved with award title and year given.
4. Winners announced on web/Twitter/press release.
5. Silver kite sticker to be displayed on book.
6. Winner gets an opportunity to present at one of their regional conferences.