Levels of Membership
Membership in the SCBWI is open to anyone with an active interest in children’s literature or media. We welcome aspiring and published writers and illustrators, librarians, educators, artists, students, dramatists, musicians, filmmakers, and others. A passion for children’s literature is our #1 criterion.
P.A.L. stands for "Published and Listed. This level of membership is open to those whose books, articles, poems, stories, illustrations, photographs, films, television or electronic media for children have been commercially published by one of the organizations listed in the SCBWI Market Surveys. P.A.L. members may have a speaker's listing in the "Find A Speaker" area of the site. They are also able to sell books at certain regional events where such sales are organized and sponsored by the regional chapter.
When registering, if you don't see your publisher listed on the drop-down menus, simply enter the name of your publisher in the space below the drop down menu. By entering the name of your unlisted publisher you will be added to SCBWI as a "FULL" member. Click here to file a PAL Inquiry with SCBWI to have your publisher added to our Market Surveys.Once you have submitted the PAL Inquiry form, the SCBWI PAL Inquiry committee will verify your publisher for possible inclusion in our market surveys. There is no guarantee that the publisher will be included. Please note that review may take up to 45 business days to receive a response. Please note that only books published by a P.A.L. publisher qualify for P.A.L. status.
P.A.L. Publisher Guidelines
- The author/illustrator shall not have paid any money or consideration for the publication of their work in any format. This would eliminate all vanity publishing and subsidy publishing.
- The publisher (whether traditional or new media) must have a professional editorial process prior to publication, at no charge to the author/illustrator.
- There must exist a means of broad distribution to the retail customer.
- The publisher must publish works from more than one author and illustrator, or family. Thus, if there are several illustrators but only one author(or vice versa) it will not qualify.
- The publisher must have published at least one prior list, or in the case of a digital publisher, have been in business for a minimum of one year.
- The publisher, whether traditional or new media, provides a means of marketing at no cost to the author illustrator.
Open to those whose books, articles, poems, stories, illustrations, photographs, films, television or electronic media for children have been published or produced.
Open to unpublished writers and illustrators of children’s literature or media, and those with a general enthusiasm for the field. Writers or illustrators who have been published in markets other than children's literature (but not in children's literature), as well as journalists, bloggers, educators, teachers and librarians would be considered Associate Members.