Online Agent Workshop
November 5, 2012 - November 12, 2012
CONTACT: Patricia Newman and Erin Dealey
Your office with a cuppa!
In an effort to reach the far-flung areas of our region, we are offering an exclusive opportunity for
35 lucky CA North/Central members
to submit partial manuscripts to three fabulous New York agents.
But your critique is only the beginning of this new and unique event...
(SCBWI CA North/Central members receive registration preference.)
COST: $99 *****SOLD OUT*****
DATES: November 5 - November 12, 2012
- You submit up to (10) pages of (1) work-in-progress (WIP) in advance of the event. Any genre is acceptable. If your entire WIP is longer than 10 pages, you must also provide a double-spaced, one-page synopsis (1" margins, please).
- You post up to (10) pages of your submitted WIP (and synopsis, if a longer work) on a password-protected discussion board for other participants to read. Likewise, you will be able to read the pages/synopses posted by all other participants. Posts must be made NO LATER THAN NOV 4. Instructions will be sent to you about a week before the discussion board opens.
- NOTE: You MUST post AT LEAST the first page (AND a synopsis, if your work exceeds 10 pages), but be aware that the group will have difficulty discussing comments from unposted pages. Clarification questions arising from unposted pages must be fielded by the writer, not the agents.
- All three agents will comment on your WIP in a password-protected discussion board to which you and the other participants have access.
- NOTE: The agents' comments are NOT private to each writer (although the discussion board is a password-protected environment and does not allow general public access). All participants will see the comments the agents give you; likewise, you will see the agents' comments for everyone else's submissions.
- You will have unlimited access to the discussion board which will be open from November 5 - November 12.
- The 3 agents and all participants will discuss the critiques on the discussion board. You may:
- Ask as many questions as you wish.
- Talk about how to follow through on the agents' suggestions.
- Work together to make your 10 pages as strong as they can be...
- ...and then carry that to the rest of the WIP when the event concludes. [Note: After Nov. 12, the agents will no longer be available for consultation. Agents will limit their comments to the pages read.]
ALL THREE agents will read and comment on your work-in-progress (WIP). All genres welcome.
- Submit (3) copies of up to (10) pages of a single WIP (AND a double-spaced, one-page synopsis (1" margins, please) if your work is longer than 10 pages) to us via email AND snail mail (in accordance with the agents' preferences) in the following manner:
- (2) printed copies should be sent to our mailing address: SCBWI CA North/Central, Online Agent Workshop, P.O. Box 2025, Carmichael, CA 95609.
- (1) electronic copy should be sent as a Word attachment (.doc extension, NOT .docx, please) to our email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Subject line: OAW Submission [your name as it appears on the event registration]
- Deadline to submit the (3) copies of your WIP: Monday, September 17, 2012
- Email submissions MUST be in our inbox no later than 5:00 pm on Monday, September 17.
- Snail mail submissions MUST be in our P.O. Box by the close of business Monday, September 17.
- Note: There are NO EXCEPTIONS to these deadlines. We are not responsible for mail holidays. There are absolutely no refunds if you do not comply with the above rules. If you sign up for this event, you must commit to meeting the deadlines and following through. We suggest you mail your submission EARLY!
IMPORTANT: By signing up for this event, you acknowledge that transmitting or airing any material in the online disucssion board (including, but not limited to, posted WIPs, agent comments, participant comments) is prohibited. Additionally, the material/discussions in the online discussion forum is copyrighted and may not be reprinted, blogged, written, orally transmitted, and/or reproduced without written permission of the copyright holder ONLY.
CANCELLATION POLICY: No cancellations or refunds. Period.