The Golden Kite Awards, given annually to recognize excellence in children’s literatures in four categories: Fiction, Nonfiction, Picture Book Text, and Picture Book Illustration. Authors and illustrators will also receive an expense-paid trip to Los Angeles (conference registration fees, hotel and transportation) to attend the award ceremony at the Golden Kite Luncheon at SCBWI’s Summer Conference in August and a lifetime membership in SCBWI.
A commemorative poster with the winners will be created and distributed to, among others, various schools, libraries and publishers.
In addition to the four Golden Kite Award winners, four honor book recipients will also be named by the panel of judges which consists of children’s book writers and illustrators.
Instituted in 1973, the Golden Kite Awards are the only children’s literary award judged by a jury of peers. More than 1,000 books are entered each year. Eligible books must be written or illustrated by SCBWI members, and submitted either by publishers or individuals.
Submissions must be received by December 19th
1. You must be a current member through April of the following year to have a book submitted to the Golden Kite Awards.
2. Only books written or translated into English are accepted.
3. Please Submit FOUR copies of your book. All submissions MUST BE in completed, bound form. NO GALLEYS.
4. You may submit your book to ONE category only, except in the case of Picture Book Text and Picture Book Illustration.
5. If submitting to both Picture Book Text and Picture Book Illustration BOTH author and illustrator must be current members and EIGHT copies must be submitted.
6. The book submitted must be published in the previous calendar year (2014 winners published in 2013).
7. Individuals and PAL publishers may submit books. Individual and Publisher Golden Kite Submission Guidelines will be posted in June.
8. One Golden Kite Award Winner and one Honor Book will be chosen per category. Winners and Honorees will receive a commemorative poster also sent to publishers, bookstores, libraries, and schools; a press release; an announcement on the SCBWI website; and on SCBWI Social Networks
9. Winners and publishing houses will be notified by March 3rd.
Submission Guidelines for PUBLISHERS
Submission Guidelines for INDIVIDUALS
Questions? Contact the Golden Kite Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org