A copy of these submission guidelines will be emailed to the SCBWI’s list of publishers in June, and will include the names and mailing address for the judges in each category. If you do not receive the email by June 15th, please contact the Golden Kite Coordinator.
1. All entries must be in final published form, having been published within the 2016 calendar year, and bearing a copyright date of 2016. Galleys will not be accepted. We encourage you to submit books in groups for each publishing period (span or season) of the year. Please do not wait until the end of the year to submit!
2. Books submitted for the Golden Kite Award must be written or illustrated by current members of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. Current membership is defined as membership that is active through 3/01/2017. Please contact our office if you need to verify an author’s or illustrator’s SCBWI membership status. We will be happy to look up any and all of your authors’ and illustrators’ membership status.
3. Only books written or translated into English are accepted.
4. You may submit each title to ONE of the following four categories:
- Fiction-Young Reader and Middle Grade
- Fiction-Young Adult
- Picture Book Text
- Picture Book Illustration
*Please note the following exception: a picture book may be submitted to the Picture Book Text AND Picture Book Illustration categories, if BOTH the author and illustrator of a title are current SCBWI members. However, the author of a book submitted only to the Illustration category need not be a member, and vice versa. An SCBWI member who has both written and illustrated a title may also be submitted for consideration in both categories.
For the Fiction and Nonfiction awards, original works and single-authored collections of stories or poems, of which at least half are new and not previously published in book form, are eligible. Anthologies and translations are not eligible. For the Picture Book Illustration awards, the artwork or photographs must be original works; the text of works submitted for Picture Book Illustration may be original, public domain or previously published.
Please clearly indicate the category for which each submission should be considered by including a detailed list with each mailing, or, if the books are being shipped directly from a warehouse, by emailing the Golden Kite Coordinator (email@example.com) with the list of titles you are sending.
5. You are required to submit four (4) copies of every title, [eight (8) copies for a title entered for both Picture Book Text and Illustration]. Entries are considered by a category-specific panel of three judges, consisting of author or illustrator members of the SCBWI whose own published works are that of the category they are judging. Please send one copy of every title submitted to each judge (of the designated category) directly. The fourth (or fourth and eighth) copy must be sent to the SCBWI Executive Office for record keeping.
All submissions must be RECEIVED no later than December 5, 2016.
6. The titles you submit to the Golden Kite Awards competition will be NOT be automatically considered for the SCBWI Sid Fleischman Humor Award. The Sid Fleischman Humor Award is an award for authors whose work exemplifies superlative writing in the genre of humor. The SCBWI established the award to honor humorous work, so often overlooked in children’s literature by other award committees. This award is open to writers only. Books nominated for the Sid Fleischman Humor Award are still eligible to receive the Golden Kite Award.
All Sid Fleischman Humor Award books should be sent as separate submissions to the address below:
SCBWI Sid Fleischman Humor Award
The Sid Fleischman Humor Award nominees will be given to another panel of judges for further consideration. The winner of the Sid Fleischman Humor Award will be selected, and the author and his/her publishing house notified in April, 2017. All winners of the 2017 Golden Kite Awards, and their editors, will be notified in April, 2017.
If you have any questions regarding submission eligibility or procedures, please contact the Golden Kite Coordinator. Thank you in advance for you interest and cooperation.
Golden Kite Award Coordinator
SCBWI Golden Kite Awards
4727 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 301
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Phone: (323) 782-1010
Fax: (323) 782-1892