(Two for the New York conference, two for the Los Angeles conference)
VIEW OUR PAST WINNERS and check out links to their beautiful websites.
2018 Winter Conference in New York: Applications due November 1 — December 1, 2017
(conference takes place February 2-4, 2018)
2018 Summer Conference in Los Angeles: Applications due April 25, 2018
(conference takes place August 3-6, 2018)
Each scholarship will provide:
Admission to all conference events including keynotes
and breakout sessions
Entry in the Juried Portfolio Showcase
The Illustrator Intensive (Los Angeles only)
An individual portfolio consultation with an illustrator,
agent or art director (Los Angeles only)
Exclusive exposure to art directors at the conference
*Please note: Transportation, accommodation and related
expenses are not included.
To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled as a full time graduate or undergraduate student at an accredited educational institution, and must be at least 18 years old.
Applicants cannot have published a picture book or have received this scholarship before.
You may apply even if you have applied to the SIS in the past, as long as you are still a full time student and have not won.
Send the following to email@example.com:
• A description in 250 words or less of why you wish to attend the SCBWI Conference. Description must be in the body of the email, not in a separate attachment.
• Three samples of your children's book-style illustrations in separate attachments (not in one pdf.) The title of each file must be structured as follows: first name_last name_1 (please do not include titles of the pieces besides this naming convention)
• A letter of recommendation from an Illustration faculty member. The letter should be emailed directly from the faculty member and must be in the body of the email, not in a separate attachment. The subject line should be structured as follows: SIS recommendation (Student Name)
• Your address, full name as it is listed in your school's records, phone number and a photo of your current student I.D.
• The subject line of your email must be structured as follows: SIS (Your Name)
Scholarship recipients will be chosen by a rotating jury composed of three industry professionals.
NOTE: In the event that a recipient can not attend for any reason, Sarah Baker should be notified as soon as possible. The scholarship may, in that event, be awarded to another applicant. The grant is not transferrable and cannot be postponed.
SCBWI reserves the right not to award the scholarships in any given year.
Download a pdf flyer here: