Summer Conference in Los Angeles, April 15, 2017
Winter Conference in New York, December 5, 2017
–Full tuition to main conference events including keynotes and breakout sessions. (Award does not include travel or hotel expenses.)
–Exclusive exposure to industry professionals at the conference.
–An SCBWI Conference advisor to help navigate the jammed-packed weekend.
LA Summer Conference: An individual manuscript consultation of the first ten pages of your manuscript with an industry professional and entrance to the Writers’ Intensives.
New York Winter Conference: Entrance to the Writers' Intensive day, a full day of specialized writing workshops.
1. You must be at least eighteen years old to apply.
2. All full-time students enrolled in an accredited educational institution are eligible to apply.
3. You must be an unpublished writer and cannot have a contract prior to receiving the scholarship. If you become under contract during the judging process you must withdraw your application.
One winner will be chosen from a graduate or doctoral program and one winner will be chosen from an undergraduate program.
Applicants are required to submit:
1. Short cover letter stating why you want to attend the conference and a synopsis of your work.
2. Five-page sample of a manuscript
3. Copy of your student ID
4. Letter of recommendation sent directly from a professor at your university.
5. Applications MUST BE electronically submitted as ONE PDF to Kayla Heinen. Letters of recommendation can be sent separately as a Word document.
6. Label the subject of the e-mail "First Name_Last Name Application"
In the event that a recipient cannot attend for any reason, the grant committee should be notified as soon as possible. The scholarship may, in that event, be awarded to another applicant. The grant is not transferrable and cannot be postponed. SCBWI reserves the right not to award the scholarship in any given year.
Questions? Contact the Grant Coordinator, Kayla Heinen