The SCBWI Work-In-Progress (WIP) Awards assist children’s book writers and illustrators in the publication of a specific project currently not under contract. SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.
The Work-in-Progress Awards showcase outstanding manuscripts from the members of the SCBWI. One winner in each of the following 6 categories will be selected.
-Picture Book Text
-Chapter Books/Early Readers
-Young Adult Fiction
-Nonfiction (Anna Cross Giblin Nonfiction Award)
-Multicultural Fiction or Nonfiction
Award: The works submitted by winners will be made available on a secure webpage and presented to a hand-selected group of editors for their consideration. Although this is not a guarantee of publication, the opportunity to have your work presented to acquiring editors, along with an SCBWI endorsement, is a unique opportunity.
Deadline: Submissions will be accepted March 1 – March 31, 2017 only.
1. You must be a current SCBWI member when your work is submitted and when the award is announced in September.
2. You may not submit a work that is under contract. If the work becomes under contract before the award is announced, you will become ineligible.
3. Each member may submit only one manuscript to the WIP awards each year. (The Cushman grant is an exception, you can apply for this grant in addition to the primary WIP)
4. Illustrators can apply for one of the Don Freeman Grants. You may not apply for both the Don Freeman and the picture book category of the WIP Award.
5. Applying to the Cushman Grant? Simply send TWO email submissions. One with Cushman in the subject line and your name and one with the WIP category you choose and your name. That's it!
PLEASE FOLLOW THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY.
1. Please submit your application via email ONLY. Please include all info as ONE PDF ATTACHMENT. We will NOT accept a Word Document.
YOUR PDF ATTACHEMENT MUST INCLUDE:
1. A cover page that contains:
A double-spaced synopsis, max 250 words
2. The first 10 pages of your completed manuscript. You must have a complete draft to submit. Please include your name (First_Last) in the upper corner of your 10 pages.
Your manuscript must be double-spaced and cannot exceed 10 pages. A TITLE PAGE DOES NOT COUNT AS ONE OF YOUR 10 PAGES Please use 12 point, Times New Roman font.
3. Please put the category you are applying to in the subject line of the e-mail with your First and Last Name. E-mail your completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read the FAQs before contacting us.