The SCBWI Magazine Merit Awards are presented by the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators annually for original magazine work for young people. Each year, the SCBWI presents four plaques, one in each category of fiction, nonfiction, illustration, and poetry, each year to honor members' outstanding original magazine work published during that year. The works chosen are those that exhibit excellence in writing and illustration, and genuinely appeal to the interests and concerns of young people. Honor Certificates in each category are also awarded. SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.
Deadline: Entries must be postmarked ON or BEFORE December 15th of the year of publication (entry year).
1. Entrants must be current SCBWI members.
2. Every magazine work for young people by an SCBWI member -– writer, artist, or photographer -– is eligible during the year of original publication. In the case of co-authored work, both authors must be SCBWI members.
1. Members must submit their own work. Required are four copies of each of the following:
(a) The work in published form — illustrators must send color photocopies or tearsheets.
(b) Proof of publication showing the name of the magazine and date of issue (contents page or verification from editor).
(c) Cover sheets must contain: the member's name as listed by the SCBWI, mailing address and phone number, title of entry, category (fiction, nonfiction, illustration or poetry), name of publication, and date of issue.
(d) When submitting both article text and illustrations for consideration, send eight copies: four that stipulate author entry (fiction, nonfiction, or poetry) and four that stipulate illustrator entry.
5. All entries are judged by a panel of three published SCBWI members.
6. Submissions will not be returned. Award recipients will be announced the following August.
7. Work to be entered, as well as further enquiries, should be submitted to:
4727 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90010