SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
The Craft of Writing / Re: Exclamations of relief
« Last post by annemleone on Today at 04:37 PM »
I like "finally!" and some of the other suggestions as well. Thanks for helping me brainstorm on this. What I'm really looking for is an exclamation to show complete and utter relief. Doesn't have to be trendy-- "thank goodness!" just sounds a little grandmotherly to me.

I'll keep playing with it--of course, you're 100% right, Melody, something unique to the character and her personality is really what I need.

Thanks!

The Art of Grammar / Re: She said v. she laughed, etc.
« Last post by joan-maher on Today at 01:38 PM »
Thanks, Anne Marie.  One of the things I love about the English language is its fluidity over time and how it evolves to its users.  I feel like this is one area that has a bit of give, in that I feel like it's used occasionally even though it's not technically correct.  I think you're right, to just find that balance between what sounds right and what won't stand out as wrong.  Thanks for your input. 
« Last post by Anne Marie on Today at 01:27 PM »
Remember that usage like this comes in and out of style, and remember that publishers have in-house guidelines for such things.  And copy editors have preferences.  So what one editor will allow, another won't.

It's not a death knell to use an unpopular construction in a manuscript, but the English language is so beautifully flexible and lovely.  Why not just play around until you get something that is not only just right for your meaning, but also won't raise a red flag for someone looking for red flags?
« Last post by joan-maher on Today at 01:09 PM »
And thank you, Ev.
« Last post by joan-maher on Today at 01:02 PM »
I was wondering about that one - "laughed" seems like a grey area to me. 
« Last post by Ev on Today at 12:58 PM »
I've always read that it's a pretty strict no-no. But then I've seen some variations in published books.

I agree with Rebecca that you can't shiver words. But I do think you can laugh words.
« Last post by joan-maher on Today at 12:56 PM »
That's what I suspected.  Thanks.
« Last post by RebeccaL-G on Today at 12:54 PM »
You can't shiver words.  You can shiver after saying words, so something like this (no speech tag and adding a period) works:
"I'm tired." She shivered.
The Art of Grammar / She said v. she laughed, etc.
« Last post by joan-maher on Today at 12:45 PM »
What are your thoughts on using words that imply speech plus another action instead of the word “said” or “replied” or the like, that definitively indicate speech… for example:

“I’m tired,” she shivered. 

“Hello?” she trembled.

“Yes!” she laughed.

Is this a strict no-no?  Can it be gotten away with on occasion? 
Kidlit Good News / Re: I have an agent!
« Last post by darshana on Today at 07:16 AM »
SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!  I admire your perseverance. Way to go!
Wishing you all the best on this next step.

:stars3 :yeah :love5 :goldstar :dancer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10