SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is anyone here writing for magazines any more?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Highlights is still my dream pub! I gotta get some subs out there but haven't in years after I switched to focusing on novels... You are an inspiration. :)
#241 - June 18, 2016, 04:09 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Good luck to you, Dina!  Highlights uses Submittable now, and I like being able to check and see if a submission has been declined or is in progress.
#242 - June 18, 2016, 04:34 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Anyone writing for teen/ya magazines? I used to back in the day when most magazines (adult, ya, and kids) had stories.

#243 - June 18, 2016, 05:30 PM

Poster Plus
Ev, congratulations!! Wow- perseverance paid off. I sure hope you don't have to wait that long (or longer) to see it in print!!
#244 - June 18, 2016, 06:19 PM

Poster Plus
While at the library, I read their January Babybug, and found my poem in it! This is a poem Babybug accepted five years ago, so it was a sweet surprise. Now I'm watching my mailbox for my author copies, and payment.
#245 - January 11, 2017, 07:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
 :yay Cindy, that's great news!! Congratulations! Sorry you had to wait so long for publication. Hope you get your copies and payment soon.
#246 - January 11, 2017, 07:42 PM

:snowski  Woohoo, Cindy!  What a terrific surprise!  I've never made it into those "bug" magazines.  But a nice thing about Highlights--they pay up front, even though they may hang on to it for years.
#247 - January 11, 2017, 08:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Congratulations, Cindy! Such fun to find your work in a magazine.

I'm in the January Ladybug, so I guess we're both...bugs?
#248 - January 12, 2017, 12:09 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Congratulations Cindy and Jody!!!
#249 - January 12, 2017, 04:56 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
 :stars3  YAY, Jody! I love hearing people's magazine joys!
#250 - January 12, 2017, 06:30 PM

Poster Plus
Yes, Jody, I read the January Ladybug, too, and saw your name!  And, my copies came today!
#251 - January 12, 2017, 07:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Yay!  :yeah
#252 - January 13, 2017, 04:29 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Congratulations guys! I was thinking of submitting, does anyone know the name of the current editor (for cover letter salutation)?

Thanks! Shanah
#253 - March 20, 2017, 06:26 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Hi all,

So happy to find a board dedicated to magazine writing! I started focusing on magazines last July, and my happy place is definitely NF articles. I've had acceptances from Highlights, ASK, and Cricket, a bunch of rejections, and even more submissions and pitches I'm waiting on.

Tracy
#254 - June 10, 2017, 11:59 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Wow, Tracy! Sounds like you're on fire!  :stars3  Congratulations on your sales and best wishes on those subs that are still out.
#255 - June 10, 2017, 12:09 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Welcome, Tracy! Glad to have another magazine writer on this thread! :)
#256 - June 11, 2017, 05:15 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, Sara!

Tracy
#257 - June 11, 2017, 05:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
I wanted to share my good news.  One of my stories has been accepted to be published in High Five!  (I try to put smileys, but only the link appears when I do, but I´m excited about it.)  I'M HAPPY, I'M HAPPY!!!   I submitted it in English and Spanish, but they accepted only the English version. 
I find it's so difficult to get published in magazines!  I'm very pleased!!!
#258 - June 13, 2017, 10:31 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Congratulations! That's great!  :stars3

Tracy
#259 - June 14, 2017, 07:17 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Congratulations Zoraida!!! My little poem about mittens is going to be in the Dec. issue of High Five.

And Tracy!!! Great to meet another magazine writer. How wonderful that you've had so many acceptances!!!
#260 - June 14, 2017, 07:42 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Vijaya,

Congratulations on your poem!  :hurrah

The other day I counted, because I was curious...since last July I've had five acceptances and five rejections and am waiting to hear on another five submissions (although pretty sure at least two of those will be rejections). I think the trick is to keep pitching!
#261 - June 14, 2017, 07:54 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
The other day I counted, because I was curious...since last July I've had five acceptances and five rejections and am waiting to hear on another five submissions (although pretty sure at least two of those will be rejections). I think the trick is to keep pitching!

Thanks and that's a high rate of acceptance. Keep on pitching!!!!!

#262 - June 14, 2017, 07:56 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Zoraida and Vijaya!!  :yay That's wonderful news.

And YAY for all your acceptances, Tracy!  :star2 You're right about the secret being to keep sending pieces out. For one thing, if you have 5 pieces out and a rejection comes in, it doesn't hurt as much as it would if that were your only submission out there--you still have those other 4 to pin your hopes on. And if a rejection does come in, remember to try to get it sent out again as promptly as possible. Sometimes it even helps to plan ahead. As you're sending out a sub, jot down where you'll send it next, if it does get rejected. That keeps Mr. Discourage from telling you it's not worth bothering to find another place to send your rejected piece.
#263 - June 14, 2017, 10:12 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
You're right about the secret being to keep sending pieces out. For one thing, if you have 5 pieces out and a rejection comes in, it doesn't hurt as much as it would if that were your only submission out there--you still have those other 4 to pin your hopes on. And if a rejection does come in, remember to try to get it sent out again as promptly as possible. Sometimes it even helps to plan ahead. As you're sending out a sub, jot down where you'll send it next, if it does get rejected. That keeps Mr. Discourage from telling you it's not worth bothering to find another place to send your rejected piece.

Thanks, Ev! Some were issue-specific pitches that won't necessarily fit anywhere else right away. However, I keep a file of ideas and of pitches/articles that haven't been picked up and keep an eye out for new opportunities.

Tracy
#264 - June 14, 2017, 12:29 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Very happy to say that my article "The Man Who Built a Better Leg" is in the July/August issue of Cricket. I received my contributor copies a few days ago. (I'd add an image of the first page but can't figure out how to get the Insert Image function to work.)

Tracy
#265 - June 27, 2017, 07:43 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Congrats, Tracy! Cricket is such a great magazine.  :flowers2
#266 - June 27, 2017, 09:34 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
My story, "Deepa's Navratri Dress," is in the September issue of Highlights! I just got my contributor copies - made my day!
#267 - August 01, 2017, 12:06 PM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Yay, Starfish! Contributor copies are the best! Congratulations. :stars3
#268 - August 01, 2017, 01:34 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Glad to hear your good news, Starfish!!  :stars3  A story in Highlights is definitely something to celebrate! Congratulations!
#269 - August 01, 2017, 02:22 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
:congratulations  Starfish!!!!!
#270 - August 01, 2017, 02:50 PM

Members: