SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

CB Recomm with boy protag age 6-8

Discussion started on

I am looking for chapter book recommendations with a contemporary, realistic boy protagonist age 6-8 who is in say K-3rd grade.  These would be for a kindergarten boy who reads at the 3rd grade level.  Not trying to rush him, we've read and continue to read tons of great PBs and early readers.  We've read great CBs with girl or animal protag but looking for some CBs with an actual ordinary boy protag.  Not scary or aliens.  Like the old Ramona series which he loved but with a contemporary boy protag.  Like the Junie B. Jones series but with a boy.  You get what I'm saying.  We've tried Henry Huggins but that didn't appeal as much.  Also not looking for books with older boys in them as 3rd grade seems to be the outer age that he's interested in.  Thanks in advance as I know how helpful everyone will be. :thankyou  I did do a search for this but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

:snoopy
#1 - May 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:14 PM by majanecka »

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Maybe the STINK series (younger brother of Judy Moody). I haven't read them, but I have read Judy Moody books and liked both Stink and Judy.
#2 - May 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My son really liked the Stink books, and he's a huge fan of Jigsaw Jones. 

Also, if he doesn't mind a pair of sibling MC's (one boy, one girl), then the Magic Tree House books and the Puppy Place books are really good for the 6-8 crowd.
#3 - May 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Mike Jung

You might try the ALVIN HO books, the series starts with Alvin going into the second grade.
#4 - May 16, 2012, 10:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.   :yay
Thanks Mike, wolfie712, and Ani Louise.  I appreciate you taking the time to steer me to some great finds.
This morning I have ordered Stink, Alvin Ho, and another one that I found while searching called Roscoe Riley (the first in that series in case anyone else is reading this and looking for boy protag CBs is Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs, it's about a 1st grade boy).  The Jigsaw Jones also looks interesting.  We have tried the Magic Tree House series but it has not yet grabbed his attention.  I also found George Brown, Class Clown (the first in that series is called Super Burp).  He prefers cats over dogs but I think that Puppy Place series sounds adorable. 
I should also mention he does not like sad books.
#5 - May 16, 2012, 11:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
You could check out Steve Voake's Hooey Higgins series and Steve Hartley's Danny Baker Record Breaker books. They're both British authors, but I believe accessible in the US.
#6 - May 17, 2012, 01:38 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Is the Nate the Great series too young?
#7 - May 17, 2012, 04:46 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

I highly recommend the Stink and Jigsaw Jones books. And if he likes baseball, he might like the CB series I did for Topps (Jinxed, Steal that Base, Zip It, 823rd Hit). :-)
#8 - May 17, 2012, 05:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Since you asked... My humorous Zeke Meeks series, published in January, features a third grade boy.
#9 - May 17, 2012, 07:05 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Annemleone I had not heard of either of those British series.  I will try to get ahold of them.  Thanks for the suggestions

eecoburn Nate the Great series is spot on.  This was actually the first boy protag series that I started him on.  We enjoy them and come back to reading them after we've read a few others.  We also listen to audiobooks as he falls asleep on night and we just got in a new set of five Nate the Great stories this week. 

Kurtis, Thanks for seconding the Stink and Jigsaw Jones books.  They sound great.  And thanks for mentioning your own series.  I'm sure we will love them.  You are always so funny, I'm sure we will be in stitches reading about Chad's experiences.

Debby G  Thanks for chiming in.  Yours was one of the first series I thought of but I couldn't remember Zeke's last name (and a search brought up Zeke (Devils on Horseback) Texas Zeke and the Longhorn, Zeke by Annette Broadrick, etc.,etc.) so I was so glad to hear from you.

wolfie712 I mentioned that we had tried the Magic Tree House series but it had not yet grabbed his attention.  We did have the first one in the house though and tonight was time to start a new book and would you believe that's what he went for out of about 10 choices so try and try again as you never know when they will circle back to something they've already passed on.

If anyone else has any suggestions let me know as we go through a lot of books and I figure he will be at this stage for at least a year before moving on to longer books.  I am really looking forward to seeing what everybody has written about young boys at this level.
#10 - May 18, 2012, 10:15 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Not a series, but Lowji Discovers America by Candace Fleming is a fun book about an immigrant boy from India.

Also all of Dick King Smith books. I'm pretty sure he has some realistic boy books. Most of what we've read feature animals.

What about NF? My kids eat it up.
Vijaya
#11 - May 19, 2012, 10:19 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Horrible Harry by Suzy Kline
Ready, Freddy! by Abby Klein
And if he likes cats more than dogs, Kitty Corner is a series by the same author who writes the Puppy Place books, Ellen Miles.
#12 - May 19, 2012, 10:51 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Vijaya and Rachel Thanks for chiming in. 
Vijaya, Terrific suggestions.  Lowji looks great.  I ordered that today which brought up the suggestion of the Castle in the Attic so I ordered that too.  Dick King Smith does have marvelous animal stories.  I think the only realistic contemporary boy book of his I've come across is Harry's Mad set I think in the 1990s about a boy and his parrot.  His Sauterelle is about a boy during WWII.  The Cuckoo Child looks fun about a boy who steals an egg from a zoo and takes it home.  We definitely need to get some of his.  Spot on about NF.  He loves NF.

Rachel, Those all look terrific.  I ordered Horrible Harry in Room 2B.  It looked to be the first one in the series.  I also ordered Ready, Freddy Tooth Trouble.  Looks like a real cute series.  I really couldn't tell which was the first Kitty Corner so I went with Kitty Corner:Callie.  I have seen this series before.  I was hesitate to read these because it is so sad that these cats are all abandoned and I was afraid that would be too upsetting for him.  He is extremely sensitive about the idea of anybody being lost or abandoned although he has never been lost in his life.  I guess it is just a natural child fear.  Or maybe because he knows that I was raised in an orphanage.  But I decided to give them a try because if he can get past the idea of them being abandoned I'm sure he would love the series.

Again, thanks everyone for all the terrific suggestions.  I am as excited as he is to try all of these and see which ones will become favorites!  Although I don't think it's mentioned here another series we started this year was the Milo and Jazz mysteries, #1 was the Case of the Stinky Socks.
 :snoopy
#13 - June 04, 2012, 07:51 PM

Members: