SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I finished Dorian Cirrone's MG novel THE FIRST LAST DAY. The writing was smooth and the story flowed well.  I loved how she wove in the magic and people relationships.
#1051 - June 17, 2016, 05:39 AM
http://www.linkedin.com/in/debragetts
Crazy Travel Adventures By Debra: http://crazytraveladventures.blogspot.com/
On Twitter: @DebraGetts

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Recently finished A SNICKER OF MAGIC by Natalie Lloyd, a highly imaginative and fun MG fantasy.  :sundae

Now reading and enjoying BLACKOUT, a YA by Blueboard moderator, Deena Lipomi. Very intriguing and mysterious, hinting at SF (not sure yet).   :beam
#1052 - June 19, 2016, 08:53 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I'm loving Jane Hamilton's THE EXCELLENT LOMBARDS. It's a beautiful example of a child narrator in a coming of age novel written for adults.
#1053 - June 27, 2016, 06:37 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'm summering with relatives while in between moves, and ahhhhhh, can I just say how LOVELY it is to have library access again? (My last library had tons of empty shelves, but very little in the way of books.) I've been kind of binge reading. Here are some recent reads that I found particularly enjoyable:

My Lady Jane, by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows. Soooo fun. A historical fantasy based on King Edward, Lady Jane Grey, Bloody Mary, etc. Except instead of religion being a dividing factor of the time, it's people who can change into animals. And there are tons of sly asides. And well...it's just funny. If you are dying for something light and funny and full of exciting action and romantic comedy, this is a great one!

The Apple Tart of Hope, by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald. This YA is just as long as it needs to be, and not any longer. It's about two friends who are maybe more than friends, and about horrible things that can happen to a person's confidence when a cruel person misuses power (also know as bullying), but mostly it's about hope.

Summerlost, by Ally Condie. This MG is my favorite book by her. It's about summer and Shakespeare and dealing with grief. But very hopeful, too.

I'm also rereading The Thief (Megan Whalen Turner) aloud to my almost-8YO. My 18YO has been listening in from the back room, though, and while some things are going over the little brother's head, my oldest is cracking up. Ah. I love reading aloud to my kids! There is nothing else like it.
#1054 - July 06, 2016, 08:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I'm loving Katie Kennedy's LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICA. Yuri and Dovie and Lennon are such wonderfully charming, flawed characters. The sarcastic humor is so much fun---here's a favorite example:
     "Hey, it's the Spockovskii!" Lennon called, splitting his fingers in a Vulcan salute. . . .
    Yuri nodded to Dovie's parents, who were washing the dishes together. "'Skii' is ending for adjectives," he said. "I'm noun."
    "Knowing that is proof you're the Spockovskii."

There are so many great lines I want to write down, but I'm too busy turning pages. No wonder this book is getting starred reviews!

#1055 - July 10, 2016, 08:56 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm loving Katie Kennedy's LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICA. Yuri and Dovie and Lennon are such wonderfully charming, flawed characters. The sarcastic humor is so much fun---here's a favorite example:
     "Hey, it's the Spockovskii!" Lennon called, splitting his fingers in a Vulcan salute. . . .
    Yuri nodded to Dovie's parents, who were washing the dishes together. "'Skii' is ending for adjectives," he said. "I'm noun."
    "Knowing that is proof you're the Spockovskii."

There are so many great lines I want to write down, but I'm too busy turning pages. No wonder this book is getting starred reviews!

Ditto. My kids and I have had a lot of laughs.

Adult read: Jodi Piccoult -- Plain Truth. I've learned more about the Amish than any NF article. Fascinating. Very typical Piccoult where you examine an issue from different angles. I also think she's a superb writer on the sentence level.
#1056 - July 10, 2016, 01:32 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Just read a beautiful MG novel: Tricia Springstubb's EVERY SINGLE SECOND. She takes a lot of risks with form and content, and challenges readers, and I think the result is a wise and heartfelt book with a charmingly flawed MC. The book could not feel more timely, as it deals with issues of race, class, and violence, but it also feels timeless. The characters are so compelling, as are the situations, and I stayed up later than I'd planned, unable to stop reading (through my tears). Heartbreaking and lovely, with lots of funny bits, too.
#1057 - July 12, 2016, 06:30 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I have just started listening to Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven King on audio, and it is very good so far. Will Patton does the narration, and I like him a lot (he did the narration for another book I listened to earlier this year, Lincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinkin, and it was awesome). I've been a big fan of The Raven Cycle, so it'll be interesting to see how it ends!
#1058 - July 28, 2016, 05:09 PM
Middle school librarian. Dr. Pepper drinker. All-around geek.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Read an oldie, set in Medieval England, a Newbery The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli and now I'm reading her autobiography: Butter at the Old Price!!! Lovely. Lovely. And it has illustrations too. What a talented lady.
#1059 - July 28, 2016, 05:50 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
I read Seesaw Girl recently and really enjoyed it, a multicultural middle grade novel by Linda Sue Park. I really like her novels. Loved A Single Shard.
I, also, recommend Yanqui Delgado Wants to Kick your Ass by Meg Medina, a young adult novel.
#1060 - July 31, 2016, 12:30 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Several of you mentioned reading THE LITTLE PRINCE in French. I just finished L'OEIL DU LOUP (The Eye of the Wolf) which is very similar. It's about at the same level (a little harder, but not much), and has the same kind of sweetness and charm. If you're not up to tackling it in French, you can get it in English. It's a great story.  Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Wolf-Daniel-Pennac/dp/0763618969/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470005725&sr=1-2&keywords=Eye+of+the+wolf

If you want to check out the first part of the story, you can see it as an animated video, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEjzDjis6Zg

#1061 - July 31, 2016, 04:09 PM
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:01 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Found in a little flea market,I'm reading Roald Dahl "Tales of the Unexpected". Fantastic
#1062 - August 18, 2016, 02:39 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Bumping this because I've been tidying the boards I moderate and wow, this thread has been inactive too long!

I'm between MG/YA books right now, but in adult-land I'm reading The Other Side of the Story , commercial fiction by Irish author Marian Keyes. She's one of my favorites although I keep having to look up Irish idioms, not all of which turn out to be usable in polite company.

In NF I'm reading The Hunt for Vulcan...and How Albert Einstein Destroyed a Planet, Discovered Relativity, and Deciphered the Universe. It's about the 19th century search for Vulcan, a planet hypothesized to orbit between Mercury and the Sun. Einstein proved it could not be there; physics and math were involved so I'm not sure I'll be able to understand why, but it's a short book.

Interesting enough, the planet was rediscovered in 1966, although much farther away than originally thought, in the Beta Quadrant. I'm not far enough into it yet to be sure, but I did a quick skim and  checked the index and there's no mention of this later discovery, which would have been a fascinating ( :whistle ) coda.
:spock
#1063 - June 13, 2017, 09:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I just read the YA novel We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. Fantastic read! And now I'm reading Maybe a Fox (MG) by Kathi Appelt. I'm about 1/3 of the way in and really liking it.
#1064 - June 13, 2017, 09:40 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I just finished A RAMBLER STEALS HOME by Carter Higgins and it was a fantastic read! Lots of heart, a little sadness, food, family, and fun. My kind of book!
#1065 - June 14, 2017, 05:45 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Enemy Woman is a good book about the civil war in Missouri and the Ozarks similar to Cold Mountain.

#1066 - June 14, 2017, 06:55 PM

Members: