SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

young readers for chapter books? how old?

Discussion started on

Hello :)

I have a picture book idea that looks like it would work better as a chapter book. I am wondering about the age of the readers. Do younger readers read chapter books? How old are the "average" chapter book readers?

I should mention this is a non fiction topic, a biography.

Also does a chapter book have an average length or does this simply depend on the publisher's guidelines?

:) Abby
#1 - October 02, 2012, 03:36 PM
Top Dog Series - Rosen Publishing, 12 x 12 in 2012, fiction & stories published Stories for Children, Under the Juniper Tree and Kids 'Magination

My chapter books are (officially) for ages 7-10 and are approximately 10,000 words long. I imagine they have younger readers but it's a good ball park. I also checked a number of chapter books and that's a good ball park for length, though I didn't check NF titles at all.
#2 - October 02, 2012, 03:46 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Mine are also officially for ages 7-10. They're about 9,000 words each. My prior series, Supernatural Rubber Chicken, was officially for ages 6-10 and 10,000 words in each book. For both series, each book contains ten chapters.
#3 - October 03, 2012, 08:32 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

In my bookstore, chapter books are often chosen as "read-alouds" by parents looking for longer books for their 4 & 5 five-year-olds. But plot and readability should be for the early reader level (grades 1-3), and those are the primary readers of these books. They're voracious, so more chapter books sounds good to me! :)
#4 - October 03, 2012, 12:47 PM

Members: