SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

So I'm picking chapter books,

Discussion started on

To check out from the library. Are there any quieter chapter books that may still fall under science fiction or fantasy? When I was reading Cyberpunk, there was a lot more gun battles.

But I'm looking for something that an advanced chapter book reader would read on their own before bed time. Maybe low fantasy, since I'm getting semi-burnt out on pure science fiction.

I'm finding whether it's writing or reading, my taste is going in a bit of different direction from Cyberpunk. I could still read Steampunk, I'm just not sure where to begin.
#1 - July 06, 2014, 01:15 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Hmm, not sure exactly what you mean. Could you give some examples of books that you've read that fall into the category you're looking for?
#2 - July 06, 2014, 01:25 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
The Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne and The Time Warp Trio series by John Scieszka are fantasy/sci-fi chapter books. I would consider Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures a type of sci-fi (I haven't read these, I've only read Flat Stanley early readers, and I'm not positive whether the Worldwide Adventures are more chapter book or middle grade). For more advanced readers, the Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black.
#3 - July 06, 2014, 03:49 PM

Robin LaFever's Beastologist series.
#4 - July 06, 2014, 04:47 PM

Oh sorry I meant are there books like that. I need to work on how I phrase questions.:/

Cool, I'll be sure to check out those books.
#5 - July 06, 2014, 09:00 PM

Wait, just clarifying... do you want chapter books or middle grade?
#6 - July 07, 2014, 06:31 AM

Yes chapter books, books for ages 5-8 that go from 7,500 words to maybe 17,000 words.

Apparently goodreads lists Spiderwick as a chapter book, so that ones golden.^^
#7 - July 07, 2014, 01:42 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Steampunk/scifi for younger ages often tends to be graphic novels, I think -- it's hard to do the world building in the short word count. Look at Zita the Space Girl, Amulet, Cleopatra in Space (and all have girl MCs too, which I like :) ).
#8 - July 07, 2014, 03:28 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Secrets of Droon series

Maybe the Animorphs series?

The Bailey School Kids books are very cute (ex., "Vampires Don't Wear Polkadots")

The "Help!" books (ex., "Help! I'm Trapped in my Principal's Body") might also fit the bill. My daughter got a real kick out of them.
#9 - July 07, 2014, 03:51 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Does anyone remember that one book with the kid with the alien as a teacher?

Amulet looks awesome. I like it even more because I can pair it with Hals Moving Castle. (There is nothing more difficult than finding a science fiction equivalent to magic realism.)

I'll also keep Spiderwhick and Timewarp Trio too.

Oh on Magic Schoolbus, was the floating bus ever really explained? That was one that confused me as a kid, but something that intrigues now that I'm a more seasoned reader.
#10 - July 08, 2014, 02:58 PM
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:09 PM by SarahW »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
My Teacher Is An Alien by Bruce Coville? Loved that as a kid! Hilarious! Probably great for grades 3-5.

#11 - July 08, 2014, 05:03 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

New!
Thanks, I'll go look for it then.^^ Yea, My Teacher is an Alien. No really he is.

Incidentally, Magic Tree House is listed as magic realism. I'd be curious why that is, as Magic Realism is a little bit different from Urban Fantasy.
#12 - July 08, 2014, 08:38 PM
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:07 PM by SarahW »

Members: