SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Chapter book?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I'm curious?and confused! Would "Lulu and the Brontosaurus" be considered an Early Reader or a Chapter Book?..and why?
#1 - July 21, 2014, 06:45 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
New!
From my Amazon search, it looks like a chapter book. Easy (Early) Readers have controlled vocabulary and sentence structures and are meant for children learning to read. Chapter books are for children who can read, but aren't ready for the lengths or themes of middle grade novels. Other chapter book series include The Magic Tree House, Junie B. Jones and Judy Moody.

Early Readers include the Frog and Toad books, Poppleton, and The Cat in the Hat. Some of these do have chapters and they can be very hard to distinguish from chapter books at the higher reading levels. Take a look at Leveled Readers in your book store for other examples. Please note that each of the big publishers has its own line and their reading levels do not agree. Also, these books are often written for licensed properties, such as the latest TV or movie.

I hope this explanation helps. One does seem to blend into the other.
#2 - July 27, 2014, 09:17 PM
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:28 AM by Debbie Vilardi »

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Lulu is a chapter book, but I've also seen it shelved as young MG.

What Debbie said, plus length is a factor too. Easy readers are usually short, even if they have chapters like these two series: Mr. Putter and Tabby, and Minnie and Moo. Chapter books are longer, like two series, Clementine and Araminta Spookie. (The reason I mentioned them is that I sometimes see them shelved in MG too, but like Lulu, they're chapter books and are usually found with the other chapter books.
#3 - July 28, 2014, 08:27 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

Members: