SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Anyone up for a chapter book marathon?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Each year I get a flu shot, but usually wind up with a brush with the flu anyway. I escaped the whole winter and thought I was home free, but got sideswiped yesterday afternoon. I actually feel better this morning - not so sick, but still tired, which, ironically, gives me more time at the computer to write because I don't have the energy to keep cleaning carpets.  :grin3

I think I'd like to finish up character bios today and then nail down some details about the setting. It always amazes me how writing character bios helps me with the plot. For me characters are easy; plot is hard.

Congratulations, Rae, on 1822 words.  :flame

Franzilla - good luck with the word count today.

Go, Arty!!
#31 - April 01, 2015, 08:30 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Aw, sorry you're not feeling so spiffy, Laurel. :( But I hope you get those bios done!! I'm gonna sit in my jammies and drink a coffee, then I'll be back at it! (Probably still in my jammies)  :grin3
#32 - April 01, 2015, 08:46 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
So I only made 805 today. But I was up a little too late last night watching X-Files. *yawn* My DH and I have been rewatching the series in anticipation of the new X-Files mini series that's coming! *the truth is out there*

:beam
#33 - April 01, 2015, 02:55 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Argh! Falling behind, falling behind! Must catch up... Let's see what I can achieve today! Go Arte! You're ahead in this dog race...  :dogwalk I'm going to grab hold of your leash and get pulled along with you!
#34 - April 02, 2015, 06:11 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Well, things got complicated yesterday, so I got nothing done. I have higher hopes for today.  :star2
#35 - April 02, 2015, 11:07 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm making my notes right now...about to begin the writing part. Then I probably won't get a chance to write again until Tuesday. Tomorrow I have to get the house in order (um, long story, there was a flood and a month of restoration) as my mom and dad are coming on Saturday for the long weekend.  :bunny2

:star2 :star2 <--- writing mojo for everyone!
#36 - April 02, 2015, 11:15 AM

@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Oh, Arty, the desk doctor is on his way - almost.  :fireworks
#37 - April 02, 2015, 12:52 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I hope he can fix it! (for those looking on, my desk took on a bit of water damage, so the drawers aren't really opening now, my dad is going to try to fix it)

And I made 1447 today! I want to keep going but I have to go get the kids!! So close now!!
#38 - April 02, 2015, 02:21 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
How did I miss that you had a flood?! In your house? What?

I'm back on it today... 899 words and still going strong. Got to put the kids to bed, though, which might result in me falling asleep before them, like usual!
#39 - April 02, 2015, 04:44 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm sorry to hear about the flood, Arty! I hope everything is back in order, and have a lovely weekend with family!

:yay Siski! Now keep going!  :whip

We're home from a mini hotel-and-waterpark vacation with the kiddos. I tried writing but I think the chlorine fried my brain cells. Do 38 words count?
#40 - April 03, 2015, 06:48 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I have a house full of family, so my progress is going to be sketchy this week at best. Happy writing to the rest of you.  :stars3
#41 - April 04, 2015, 07:22 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Siski, back in February the main pressure regulator valve to our house blew out. It was in my office.  :sadcry. Our whole downstairs flooded about 5 inches...could have been worse I guess. Oh, wait...it was! They found asbestos!!  :sigh

It's all fixed now, so everything has to be moved back in down there and put away. I was without my office/studio for about 2 months. Oh, and just before that, the kids were crashing around and fell into my new laptop and cracked the screen! So trying to work has been quite the challenge!  :gaah

Rae, you've got 38 more words than you did before, so I say it counts!
#42 - April 04, 2015, 09:31 AM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
As the turtle in this race, I can only claim 1300 words written and revised this week, but it's better than nothing and at least has gotten me going on this new WIP.

Best Wishes and Happy Easter!
Joseph
#43 - April 04, 2015, 12:16 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
As the turtle in this race, I can only claim 1300 words written and revised this week, but it's better than nothing and at least has gotten me going on this new WIP.

Best Wishes and Happy Easter!
Joseph

Sometimes we just need that kick to get started. Happy Easter to you, too. :easterbasket
#44 - April 04, 2015, 12:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Wow, Arte, five inches is a lot! And asbestos too. Yikes. Although in a way, that's good, right? Because otherwise you might not have known about it?

Anyway, I am writing huge numbers of words (about three billion a day) but they're all in my head.  ;D I am writing on the computer too and hitting around 1000 but for once I seem to be doing leapfrog writing, where I write one part, then jump on a few chapters and write another that pops into my head. I'm hoping that this bizarre method might result in a complete book at some stage... we'll see!

So onward! Only one week left people! Stuff yourselves full of chocolate tomorrow so you can get writing!
#45 - April 04, 2015, 06:30 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I do a lot of writing in my head before I put it on paper. When I'm in the middle of drafting, the ms is on my mind almost constantly.
#46 - April 05, 2015, 12:22 PM

If I had a plot I'd participate, but plotting next chapter book.:/

My work runs more to 3,000-7,500 words, not sure if that's a chapter book.
#47 - April 05, 2015, 03:20 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Sounds like a chapter book in length! http://literaticat.blogspot.com/2011/05/wordcount-dracula.html

I stormed ahead today with more than 2000 words but I'm full of doubts about every single one of those words. Ho hum. I'll keep going then possibly rewrite the whole thing again at some later stage.
#48 - April 05, 2015, 04:31 PM

It often helps me to think of it as multiple self-contained stories. Maybe it might help you? Then again, I don't really do short story collections or books but somewhere in between. (Shared town and theme.)

Hope that helps, in either case you can do it!:D
#49 - April 05, 2015, 04:48 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
:wow Siski!

I hit 700 tonight. Better than 38! :)
#50 - April 05, 2015, 07:19 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Instead of writing today, I accidentally flooded the bathroom. Our faucet was ancient and falling apart (the screws that held it together had rusted away), and since I have absolutely no plumbing skills, I decided to fix it myself. :rain :drowning It's all properly hooked up and drying out now, and I'll try to make up the writing time tonight. I'm up to 8700 words, planning to make at least 10,000 by the end of the week.
#51 - April 07, 2015, 12:56 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh no, Rae!! But yay it's all drying now, lol.

I did 1374 today. And I think I finished the first draft. *throws confetti*  :hurrah Now I have to go through it and polish it up.

Siski, I make a few point form notes on paper about what I want to write that session before I start. It really helps to keep you on track. Or maybe a really loose outline might help?

#52 - April 07, 2015, 01:54 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
ReaE,

At least you have material for a flooding bathroom scene. ;)

Artemesia,

Congrats on finishing your draft!  :star2

As for myself, I'm nearing 2,000 words... total. Go, go, gadget turtle!  :turtlego

Best Wishes,
Joseph
#53 - April 07, 2015, 02:13 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Awww, Joseph! Some words are harder to get out than others! Go turtle!!  :stars3
#54 - April 07, 2015, 02:25 PM

@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
I was about to ask if I could join in (got a sequel that needs writing!), but after all the flood stories, maybe not. Don't want the bad mojo rubbing off here! We have a sprinkler system in our house and guess what my worst fear is? Yeah, setting that puppy off! :rain :drowning

:star2 Congrats on finishing your first draft, Arty!  :star2 (Is this the robot story or another?)

Rue

#55 - April 07, 2015, 02:54 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
It's the robot one. I was finally able to get back to it after all those chickens!!
#56 - April 07, 2015, 06:47 PM

@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
 :yay

That's great news!

Rue
#57 - April 07, 2015, 06:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Me too! I've completed a very, very rough first draft (as in there are lots of parts that simply say XXXX which is my way of marking a spot that I have to fill in with dialogue or whatever). Now I'm going to spend the next few days filling in the XXXXs.

Thank you everyone for helping me kick myself into getting this done. Not that it's done yet... but I'm a lot closer than I was!
#58 - April 08, 2015, 07:20 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
 :yay :yay :yay

That's great, Siski!

(I clearly need to get my butt in gear!)

Rue
#59 - April 08, 2015, 07:56 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
 :stars3 Fantastic, Arty and Siski!

1360 new words, and I've made my goal! I still have a lot left, but I also have two months to the day until summer vacation chaos begins.   :crazy

Thanks for the push to get back into this ms!
#60 - April 10, 2015, 01:18 PM

Members: