SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Prologue for CB?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
 :help2 I am trying to write a CB but still new to this. Can put a prologue in a CB? Is that too complex for this type of book?  :soccer
#1 - May 15, 2015, 08:31 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I see prologues in CB series that explain the premise from previous books, but not for a first book. My sense is that a first or standalone chapter book needs a straight-ahead narrative. If it doesn't fit, it may be middle-grade.
#2 - May 15, 2015, 10:05 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Member.
Poster Plus
I'd say the same, a prologue isn't usually seen in a chapter book as far as I know though with middle grade it's fine--but of course with middle grade you'll often be advised to lose the prologue if you can (I'm sure there are threads here about that if you do a search).

That said, if it's a first draft you could also just write the prologue if it helps get into the material, get to the end of the story, and then after having readers give comments and knowing the story better, that's when you could figure out how to drop the prologue for a next draft.
#3 - May 16, 2015, 06:59 AM
Keith McGowan, www.keithbooks.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Honestly, I wouldn't do it in a chapter book. Even in older books, many agents and editors will argue that prologues can almost always be cut. Many readers hate them. My feeling is, why market-handicap your book?

If it would help you to write it now, by all means do. But I'd go at it from the standpoint that it won't be in your final version.
#4 - May 16, 2015, 07:34 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you everyone! You have made me rethink my approach on how I can start my story.
#5 - May 16, 2015, 12:32 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I have seen introductions in chapter books that explain the premise. In my series instead of doing that we just rehash the premise in the first chapter. By book 4 it sure got challenging to find a new way to do it.
#6 - May 16, 2015, 01:37 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
 Artemesia thank you for the feedback. I've been researching more CB's, new and old, to see what is the best way for my story to start. I think I'm finally on the right track 😃
#7 - May 19, 2015, 12:01 AM

Members: