SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Fairytale/fable Early Reader

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to get some insight from writers with more knowledge than I. I wrote a first draft of a PB which is a spin on the classic Three Little Pigs. I've found some examples of books like this. But, the more I look at my MS the more I think it might read better as an easy reader chapter book. But, I'm having trouble finding any examples of fairytales or fables in early CB format. Can anyone help me out???

Thanks!
Moriah
#1 - December 12, 2016, 10:11 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Welcome, Moriah. First I'd like to clarify whether you're talking about easy readers or chapter books. Chapter books are short novels for kids who can read independently but can't handle the length or themes of middle grade yet. (lengths are generally 5,000 - 10,0000 words.) Easy readers are for students learning to read. They use controlled structure and vocabulary to aid in the reading process. (Lengths vary depending upon the reading level. Some approach chapter books.) The age group for both overlaps.

There are quite a few twists on the the Three Little Pigs out there. Yours will need to be unique and unexpected to sell.

In terms of comp titles, I'm not coming up with any in either category although Disney may have books in both formats based on their movies. If you have a local children's book store (or section of a book store) or library, you could ask there. They might be able to pint you at what's available out there. Good luck.
#2 - December 18, 2016, 08:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, Debbie!

Sorry I didn't clarify. I'm thinking an easy reader, but the type that is broken into chapters-like the "I Can Read" and "Step Into Reading" books. Not, the length of what would be considered a chapter book, but I think it would still need to be broken into chapters. I'm just not sure it's the type of ms a book publisher would want. But, it seems too meaty and long to be a magazine piece. I'm not ready to give up on it though. It seems like a fun twist and my kids thought it was funny. Although, I know we really shouldn't go off what our own kids say ;)

Moriah
#3 - December 19, 2016, 06:01 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Moriah, I wrote a couple of retellings of fables for the EZ/ESL market (it was work-for-hire). They look like PBs but the language is EZ.
Right off the top of my head, I can think of Charlesbridge and Holt and Barron's for this type of book. Good luck, Vijaya
#4 - December 19, 2016, 07:09 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
What the others said, and also if you are thinking Easy Reader, make sure the language/vocabulary/structure are aimed at those learning to read -- not just that the story seems to fit that "size" or word count of a book. Good luck!
#5 - December 19, 2016, 05:24 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
These books often come in series, so keep that in mind. I think you're talking about Henry and Mudge type books. Those aren't always really chapters, sometimes they're more like vignettes or separate stories, but they do sell well. To make a series, have other fairy tales or fables in mind that you could do in the same format. I see no reason why anyone who publishes these kinds of books wouldn't take a twist on a classic story unless the twist depended on the reader being really familiar with the original. (That can be an issue in the ESL side of the market where the kids don't have American cultural references in their backgrounds.) I hope this helps. Good luck.
#6 - December 25, 2016, 06:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you everyone! All this feedback is very helpful!

Moriah

:thankyou
#7 - December 26, 2016, 02:55 PM

Members: