Rutger's One on One Plus

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
The application and info can be found at http://ruccl.org/. It's the best conference I've ever attended, but you do have to apply to get in.
#1 - June 04, 2017, 08:46 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Debbie, am I right in understanding that the story (PB in my case) that you submit with your application will be the same one you workshop at the conference? Just thinking about which manuscript I'd be able to keep my hands off until October!
#2 - June 05, 2017, 07:34 AM
Lisa Katzenberger
@FictionCity
www.lisakatzenberger.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Debbie, am I right in understanding that the story (PB in my case) that you submit with your application will be the same one you workshop at the conference? Just thinking about which manuscript I'd be able to keep my hands off until October!

Lisa, the forty-five minutes with your mentor is for you to spend as you wish.  Your mentor will talk to you about that one but if you have other work or other topics to discuss, you can feel free to bring work for the mentor's quick feedback.  I don't think we touched on my manuscript when I went because we discussed other things that I needed to discuss more urgently.

I met my agent there, btw, so I'm a big fan of Rutgers One on One.

AM

#3 - June 05, 2017, 08:53 AM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Thanks for the feedback Anne Marie!
#4 - June 05, 2017, 10:20 AM
Lisa Katzenberger
@FictionCity
www.lisakatzenberger.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Lisa, it depends on the person you're paired with. The editor I worked with only wanted to talk about the sample I'd submitted, not the other stuff I'd brought with me (but she did eventually make an offer on that book, so like Anne Marie, I'm a Rutgers One-on-One fan).
#5 - June 05, 2017, 07:05 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Yay! Came onto the boards specifically to see if a post had started for Rutgers. :) I loved attending last year. It was my first time and I felt it was really productive. I got some bites on a picture book submission but no sale yet (I was accepted with a YA submission.) I'd like to go again ... not sure what I'll submit because I write in different genres.

Good luck to all!
Abby
#6 - June 07, 2017, 06:01 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
I forgot I'd started this thread. So good to see success stories.

In general, you'd workshop the piece you submitted. That's the expectation, at least. I think they get more picture book submissions than others, so the competition might be tougher in that category. Who they accept depends in part on who the mentors are that year and what those mentors want to see, so it's not predictable and doesn't break into even groups when you look at the number who submitted in each category vs. the number who got in for each.  The mentors are volunteers.
#7 - June 11, 2017, 09:02 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Done! Good luck to all!  :yeah
How did everyone feel about their sub? I'd love to go again ... wonderful conference.
Abby
#8 - June 27, 2017, 03:12 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm hopeful about my sub, but I'm always hopeful about my sub. (Perhaps there's a reason sub is also opening of subjective. It's not up to me.)
#9 - June 27, 2017, 09:08 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 :stars3 :stars3 :stars3 and  :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck to all. I didn't apply this year but I am crossing my fingers for all of you!
#10 - June 28, 2017, 08:33 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, Debra.

Slimmer response this year on the blue boards.  Anyone else apply?
#11 - June 28, 2017, 11:30 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I applied...with a picture book. It's not necessarily the book I would want workshopped, but they asked for the best work so that's what I sent. Hoping there is leeway to work with something else while there. How competitive is the app process?
#12 - June 29, 2017, 11:13 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
Last I heard, they get over 500 apps for the 80 or so spots, so it's very competitive.

If you get in, you may be able to workshop more than one piece. It depends on the person you're working with and on how much there is to discuss about the piece you submitted.
#13 - June 30, 2017, 06:16 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Mail came ... not this year for me.  :uhuh Good luck to everyone who applied!  :goodluck

Onward and upward.  :horse2

Abby
#14 - August 24, 2017, 09:13 AM
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:15 AM by aca »

Abby, so sorry. I'll miss you this year!

I am breathing a deep sigh of relief as my MG was accepted. The letter just came in today's mail. Anyone else?

Jeff
#15 - August 24, 2017, 12:03 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Congratulations Jeff! I switched gears this year and subbed something relatively new. Live and learn! Have a great conference.
Abby
#16 - August 24, 2017, 12:25 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Rejected again! I guess it's always going to be Rutgers One-on-Somebody-Else. Congrats to those who get in!
#17 - August 24, 2017, 03:14 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Rejected again! I guess it's always going to be Rutgers One-on-Somebody-Else. Congrats to those who get in!

I feel you, Kell! I did make it in last year after some rejections, so keep on trying.

Abby
#18 - August 24, 2017, 03:50 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm joining the rejected club. I've gone twice but I self sabotaged a bit then. (Success equals change and change is scary.) I was hoping to conquer that six-year-old demon, but I'll have to apply again next year. I've applied every year but one since at least 2006, so I'm two for ten.
#19 - August 29, 2017, 02:07 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Sorry for my delay in responding ... sorry to hear this, Debbie. We'll keep trying!
Abby
#20 - September 05, 2017, 02:13 PM

Members: