Discussion started on

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hi, Everyone,

I changed the look of my website for the winter months. It just didn't feel right to have all those autumn leaves all over it now that winter has decided to set in. I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.verlakay.com
#1 - November 25, 2014, 10:34 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
It looks great, Verla. I love the gray. It's also really easy to navigate.

Melody
#2 - November 25, 2014, 12:20 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:yay, Melody. That's music to my ears. I really LOVE the themes available through my RapidWeaver website creation program for my Mac. It's so EASY to change the entire theme of a website with just a couple of clicks of the mouse. I just wish they had a really lovely winter theme... you know, snowflakes drifting down, snow scenes around the edges... etc.
#3 - November 25, 2014, 12:46 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Dionna

Hey there, Verla Kay! How are you?  :love5

To be honest, I think your website needs the loving kiss of your books' illustrations and some color. As is, it's too bare, almost like a plain piece of paper with text written for adults rather than a place for kids to discover an amazing children's writer, which of course you are!! Why not use the pic on the bottom of your bio page on your first page? Why aren't your book illustrations highlighting each page? Can you get permission to use inside illustrations as a background, a banner, or as adornments? Or maybe one character from one of your books could be a "spokeswoman" of your site? I don't like that you have to click on a link on a page to get to your books and your bio? Why not make them stand alone tabs at the top? Why not address your books audience with your text by making it kid-friendlier?

I think I mentioned Weebly before. What I love about Weebly is that you can build your site, add text, pics, quotes, change font color size, etc...very easily by dragging elements into place, and it is free. You could play around with it before you publish it and before deleting a different account to see what you think.

Have a fantabulous day!!
#4 - November 29, 2014, 06:42 AM
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:43 AM by Dionna »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks for the great suggestions, Dionna. I can do those sames drag and drop things with my RapidWeaver website builder program. :-)
#5 - November 29, 2014, 09:38 AM
Verla Kay

Dionna

You're welcome, Verla. Hope I didn't come across snarky! :hiding
#6 - December 08, 2014, 07:40 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I've been trying to figure out how to add a snow falling stack to my page. Can't figure it out...but I will!
#7 - December 08, 2014, 09:14 AM
Verla Kay

Dionna

That will add a lot! Best wishes with it!
#8 - December 08, 2014, 12:31 PM

Hi Verla,

I love the look, but I wanted to let you know that the website doesn't come up full on my computer screen. It sits on the screen in the center, but there is blank screen on either side of it. Most websites that I click on fill my whole screen. I use Firefox if that helps.

Ree
#9 - December 08, 2014, 07:48 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks, Ree! I haven't had any chance to work on it. We were moving from Washington state to Arizona and I've had some very debilitating health issues - like a severe flareup of gout in my right wrist! (and I rarely drink liquor) that have limited my computer time. But I will see what I can do about it.
#10 - December 08, 2014, 08:05 PM
Verla Kay

Oh no, Verla. I hope you feel better.

Ree
#11 - December 08, 2014, 09:53 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks, Ree. On Sunday I got a shot and heavy duty medications at the emergency clinic. I'm slowly (with the emphasis on S L O W L Y) improving. :)
#12 - December 09, 2014, 07:14 AM
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:16 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Dionna

Get better soon, Verla!! :fireplace
#13 - December 09, 2014, 07:44 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks, Dionna. I'm trying, but it's so HARD not to type!
#14 - December 09, 2014, 12:24 PM
Verla Kay

Members: