SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Plagiarizing Augustine

Discussion started on

In his 'I think, therefore I am', Rene Descartes basically stole that basic idea from Book 11, CH. 26 of Augustine's City of God. And Anselm basically stole the idea of the definition of God (for his ontological argument) from Book 7, CH. 4 of Augustine's Confessions.  And they gave no credit to Augustine for his original ideas. But perhaps the copyright expired by the time of the medieval ages and the Renaissance! Who knows, maybe Augustine was being punished by heaven for taking the Second Commandment out of the Torah's Decalogue? It makes one wonder are there more things to be pilfered from Augustine's writings????
#1 - April 06, 2017, 01:13 PM
http://michael.www2.50megs.com

Author of two novellas at my website:
Crilium and The Elf that Met his Equal and More

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
But perhaps the copyright expired by the time of the medieval ages and the Renaissance!

:lol4  But it's always a good idea to give credit where it's due.
#2 - April 06, 2017, 05:51 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
CITY OF GOD was Charlemagne's favorite book. Just throwing that out there.  :grin3
#3 - April 06, 2017, 07:17 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

New!
Thinking about Charlemagne, I just remembered something which I can't figure out was a western report or an eastern one.  Many years ago, one of my Muslim college professors, an eastern history expert, said that the Muslim army, in northern Spain, was defeated by King Charles the Hammer (who was the ancestor of Charlemagne) because the Muslim cavalrymen loved riding camels (instead of horses) and the deep snow impeded their camel's feet in battle, which were not used to such a climate.  I do not know if this report is a myth or not since I never heard it from any other source.  I thought I read somewhere (and saw on t.v.) the Muslim army was defeated in Spain because an elite cavalry unit, under King Charles' explicit orders, made a surprise attack on the Muslim army's rear supply base.
#4 - April 07, 2017, 12:14 AM
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:14 PM by Michael88L »
http://michael.www2.50megs.com

Author of two novellas at my website:
Crilium and The Elf that Met his Equal and More

Members: