SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need a new printer

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'm looking for an inexpensive inkjet printer with cartridges that won't cost an arm and a leg.  Is there such a thing? Thanks.
#1 - April 18, 2017, 01:25 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Betsy, Sweethome.com (a sister website to The Wirecutter) reviews things like that.  Here is a link to its printer reviews: http://thesweethome.com/?s=inkjet+printers

Spoiler alert: they're all pretty much junk, but some are a bit less junky than others.
#2 - April 18, 2017, 03:30 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
How much do you print, Betsy? I got a wireless Epson XP-420 a year ago from Best Buy. If memory serves, it was around $50. To get cartridges (black and the three colors) I pay just under $40 (total), which is not cheap, but I print so little anymore that I've only bought cartridges for it once (besides the ones that came with the printer).  When the ink runs low, a message pops up on my screen allowing me to order from Epson with just a click, and I like that so much better than going to the store for it.

My other suggestion would be to go to the ink display at the store, find the cheaper cartridges, and then look for the printers that take them.
#3 - April 18, 2017, 04:35 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
I've had really good luck with black and white laser printers. They are more expensive up front (but not that much more for black and white), and they're faster and offer up a lot more ink before anything needs to be replaced. Just a thought.
#4 - April 18, 2017, 04:38 PM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Betsy, the March 2017 Consumer Reports rated printers of all types. The two not-all-in-one inkjets they rated highest were the HP OfficeJet200 Mobile and the Epson Workforce Pro WF-5190, but they were pricey, $230 and $300 respectively.

Your public library would have a copy; if not, PM me and I'll scan the rating grids and send them to you.
#5 - April 18, 2017, 04:52 PM
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:55 PM by AnneB »

I use the HP instant ink system. You buy one of their printers, and pay $2.99/50 pages per month,  $4.99/100 copies, or $9.99/300 copies  a month for ink. (you can  buy more pages if that's not enough.) The system senses when you need ink and ships it to you for free.  The cost is the same if you print out B&W or color!!  You can change plans every month, and unused pages roll over to the next month. I love it.  Here's a link to sign up. We each get a free month through that link.    http://try.hpinstantink.com/dLLBS  It's definitely been cheaper than buying cartridges.

This is a link to their printers.  That ones that say HP instant ink ready work with the system.  http://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/printers/segm=Home?answers=use-h
#6 - April 18, 2017, 05:01 PM
SCHOOL OF CHARM
Katherine Tegen/HarperCollins
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY SERIES
Scholastic 2017
BACK ON THE MAP
Skypony Press 2017
WISH FAIRY SERIES 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks for all these GREAT suggestions!!

I'm checking several of them out. You guys are the best! (As always.)
#7 - April 19, 2017, 12:53 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Lisa--I was really interested in the instant ink system until I read the reviews on Amazon. Apparently, HP can control your printer remotely and will disable it for a month if you decide not to use the system--or displease them in other ways. Several customers have complained about this. I have no idea if it's true. Take it for what it's worth.
#8 - April 19, 2017, 08:28 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Lisa--I was really interested in the instant ink system until I read the reviews on Amazon. Apparently, HP can control your printer remotely and will disable it for a month if you decide not to use the system--or displease them in other ways. Several customers have complained about this. I have no idea if it's true. Take it for what it's worth.

Huh, I had no idea!  I've been happily using it for a few years now. Thanks for passing that along.

#9 - April 20, 2017, 05:36 AM
SCHOOL OF CHARM
Katherine Tegen/HarperCollins
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY SERIES
Scholastic 2017
BACK ON THE MAP
Skypony Press 2017
WISH FAIRY SERIES 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Lisa--The ink by mail service may be just fine. Other customers say that it works well for them. I just don't like the idea of someone controlling my computer from afar--for any reason.

About Consumer Reports. I guess I was put off by when they sent me a survey which was all about whether or not I'd still use their recommendations if they took money from the product manufacturers of the reviewed products. They were obviously thinking of doing something like that. I don't know if they ever did, but I decided not to renew because--how would I know I was getting the straight scoop?

AnneB--Thanks so much for that little piece of information. I took a serious look at the HP you mentioned. It DOES look like a great little printer and I almost bought it. Then I checked out the price of the cartridges and decided against it. The Epson is too tall for the space that I have, which has a shelf over it.

But THANK YOU so much for giving me a specific recommendation! I really appreciated it.
#10 - April 21, 2017, 09:35 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I do a LOT of printing and love my Canon.
#11 - April 21, 2017, 11:32 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Specs, Specs II, Pup 681, When the Snow is Deeper Than Your Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Truman

www.jeanreidy.com

Members: