SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submission Grinder

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
The Submission Grinder website appears to track submission response times for a variety of magazines.  Use of the website is free.  The link to the Highlights High Five submission timeline page is here: 
https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Market/Index/5362
#1 - April 18, 2017, 06:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
That's an interesting resource, RobinB. Thanks for including. I noticed they said High Five is non-paying, though, which is untrue. It's good to always check the publisher's website for current info.
#2 - April 19, 2017, 04:39 AM
THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED, PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Submission Grinder originated as a tracking site for fantasy/sci-fi markets and is gradually expanding the range of magazines covered. Not all magazines that appear on the site are actively tracked by the site or its originators; some are considered not to qualify for listing, others are stub listings where they don't have all of the information. The op may want to email the site with an update about High Five's payment policies, or at least a url for current writer's guidelines so that Grinder info can be updated.

The site is useful for writers who don't want to hassle with maintaining a database file for submissions. One caveat: the listed wait/response times depend upon writers being conscientious about updating the status of submissions in a timely manner.
#3 - April 19, 2017, 01:54 PM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:58 PM by James Roth »

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I'm a little confused why this was moved out of the Response Time discussion board.  Submission Grinder isn't a magazine.  It's a website that tracks manuscript submission response times.  The results are available to anyone.  You don't need an account, and you don't need to pay a fee.  It'll provide as much data as others have voluntarily submitted.

#4 - April 20, 2017, 03:01 PM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:28 PM by RobinB »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I'm sorry that moving the post was confusing. I moved it because the response time threads are only supposed to be for posting when a submission was sent and when a response to it was received. Your post about Submission Grinder was helpful, but it wasn't about High Five specifically, and I thought the information would reach more people, if it were put on the more general magazine board. Since you put the post in a thread about a magazine, I thought magazine writers were the ones you were trying to provide the information to.

If the information should be for a boarder range of writers, I'll discuss with the other mods and admins the best place for the post to go.

Thank you for sharing the information,
Ev (donning her moderator hat)
#5 - April 20, 2017, 04:09 PM

Just adding my info as a regular user of both The Submission Grinder and Duotrope (a similar submission tracker but one that charges a fee for use))for my speculative fiction submissions

I will say that I have found The Sub Grinder/Duotrope to be of relatively good use for tracking Cicada's response times, sometimes useful for Cricket, but rarely of use for the younger magazines  or the Highlights family -- because apparently few writers that write for those markets are using either. 

That doesn't mean it can't change if more kidlit writers started using either one more regularly.     
#6 - April 21, 2017, 09:11 AM
Thomas Jefferson & the Mammoth Hunt 2018
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Members: