SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submitting a MS with SASE

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Hello all!  I am new here and I am ready to submit my first children's book!  I am sending directly to publishers and I have a question about the SASE.  Some publishers ask specifically for a letter sized envelope, and others ask for an appropriate size if I would like my materials returned.  Any advice on what to send if nothing is specified?  Do I send a big one (my full ms has illustrations and is pretty bulky) and assume they will return my materials?  Or do I send a letter size and let them recycle the ms? 

I appreciate any advice!
#1 - April 20, 2017, 08:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
It depends.  If you want the material returned to you then send the large envelope. If you don't then send the regular envelope and mention at the bottom of your query that THEY can recycle the mss.  Even if you don't mention it, they will figure it out by the size of the envelope you send.  So, it is basically your choice.
#2 - April 21, 2017, 07:58 AM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) Out now on Amazon, Kobo, B&N. OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) coming Sept 5.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thank you Melody!  That really helps.
#3 - April 21, 2017, 08:09 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
New!
Hello all!  I am new here and I am ready to submit my first children's book!  I am sending directly to publishers and I have a question about the SASE.  Some publishers ask specifically for a letter sized envelope, and others ask for an appropriate size if I would like my materials returned.  Any advice on what to send if nothing is specified?  Do I send a big one (my full ms has illustrations and is pretty bulky) and assume they will return my materials?  Or do I send a letter size and let them recycle the ms? 

I appreciate any advice!

Never send the original. There is always a chance it will get mangled or lost. I'm hoping an illustrator will stop by to tell you how to send good copies of the dummy.  When you send the dummy, also include a copy of the manuscript without illustrations unless you're submitting to an art director.

I hope this helps and that someone with more knowledge from the art side stops by.
#4 - April 23, 2017, 08:38 PM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:11 PM by Debbie Vilardi »

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thank you Debbie, it never occurred to me to also send a copy of the manuscript without illustrations! 
#5 - April 24, 2017, 08:42 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Just a thought...it saves you lots of money and fuss if you submit by email (if the publisher allows it).
#6 - April 24, 2017, 04:19 PM
I've Got Feet! (Fantastic Animal Feet) - Amicus Ink (Aug. 2017)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com
Twitter: @juliekidsbooks

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Hi Julie, thanks for your response.  I did find a couple publishers who take electronic submissions!
#7 - April 25, 2017, 11:03 AM

Members: