SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Iceland, anyone?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I'm an American now living in Northern Iceland.  Just wondering if there are any other SCBWI-ers in the land of fire and ice!
#1 - April 02, 2015, 01:26 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
 Hi, jgm! :welcome2  I'm no place close to Iceland--just wanted to say hi.

May I ask what took you there?
#2 - April 02, 2015, 07:07 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Welcome, welcome! The blueboards are great!

I'm interested in why you're in Iceland, too. It is a place that has always intrigued me, but northern Iceland must be pretty isolated and rugged. Fire and Ice is right.
#3 - April 02, 2015, 08:18 AM

Poster Plus
Hi, jgm! And welcome. I'm in NY but had a chance to visit Reykjavik last year. Unfortunately I was just traveling through in August. I would LOVE to go back for a longer period (to see the Northern Lights!)

Aren't there more authors per capita in Iceland than anywhere else in the world? Like Dews and Pons, looking forward to getting to know you and hear more about your writing!

#4 - April 02, 2015, 10:55 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks for the responses everyone!  I went to Iceland for a two week international workcamp several years ago, and met a very nice carpenter/sheepfarmer so we are now married and I am living here with my husband and our 6 month old daughter!  All is good, and I am able to skype with my writing group back in Oregon, but it would be fun to meet a few children's authors here.  I know there are lots of writers in Iceland, but I haven't heard of any writers' groups or organizations yet.  At least not in the north.  Of course, it might help if I could learn more Icelandic!
#5 - April 04, 2015, 10:22 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region spain
I was a guest at the Myrin International Children's Literature Festival in Reykjavik last year. (One of my picture books was published in Icelandic, under the title SILVIA OG DREKKIN, in 2007.)

The festival is held every other year, so there should be another one in 2018. You might want to keep an eye on their website or write to see if they know any more details, so you can plan to attend. (It's free to attend.)

https://myrin.is/

#6 - November 04, 2017, 10:34 AM
Recent book:
WILL YOU READ MY BOOK WITH ME, illustrated by Thiago Lopes (Epigram)

Recent translations:
THE WILD BOOK by Juan Villoro (Restless Books)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Lawrence, thanks for this info.
I've heard if you are from the states traveling to Europe, you can use your plane fare and stay for a week free in Iceland. Not free lodging, of course, but the airfare will be the same.  Have you heard of this? This sounds like a good incentive to enjoy some time in this country.
#7 - November 11, 2017, 05:39 AM

Members: