SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Let's Get Jamming!

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Writing has dried for a while so I've decided to challenge myself & both successfully and unsuccessfully made jams and jellies of late. They have a good shelf-life and work well with chocolate. But most of you know me:I'm a bit bonkers with my selection of flavours.
Any thoughts? Something high in pectin would be best. Here's a link with foods high in pectin:
Sweet potatoes
Squash
Tomatoes
Peas
Carrot
Grapefruits
Lemon
Orange
Peach
Grape
Loganberries
Blackberries
Raspberries
Strawberries
Banana

Thanks.
#1 - October 19, 2017, 06:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
A sweet potato jam sounds interesting.
#2 - October 19, 2017, 08:23 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I'd like to try a squash-banana combo.
#3 - October 19, 2017, 11:49 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
Raspberry-lemon would be divine!! I'm very intrigued by the sweet potato, too (and I'd want to add raisins and cinnamon! - - or would they gum up the works??).

And how are you using your jam? Toast, crackers, muffins, the middle of chocolate candies? I'm always curious about such things......

Can't wait to hear how your concoctions turn out.....and about the writing they inspire!!
#4 - October 19, 2017, 07:32 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Carrots: Ironically, yesterday I made orange and carrot jelly. Well, a tiny bit, anyway. It's amazing how much you have to use to get the tiniest dribble. As long as you have the right ratio quantity, pretty much everything works. There's a natural pectin in many fruits and vegetables which help the jam set.
Thanks for your suggestions.
By the way, it will look disgusting to you (not a very good photo), but I made a ganache about three years ago when John's fellow students asked for truffles made from sweet potato. I didn't like them, but they asked for more.
I'm posting up two photos: one of the sweet potato ganache & one of white chocolate with a layer of home-made jelly.
All of those suggestions about using the jam sound good, but really it's just stuck in the fridge until I am ready to use it in my chocolates. I need to get a toaster! :muahaha

John suggested we should start our blog again.
#5 - October 20, 2017, 05:20 AM
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:23 AM by thunderingelephants »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
My blackberry/blueberry jam (jelly) truffles.
Enjoy.
#6 - October 31, 2017, 07:17 AM

Poster Plus
They look decadent, Fiona!! Are the berries harvested from your own bushes, too?
#7 - October 31, 2017, 01:55 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Living in a grotty downstairs apartment, I doubt I could manage it. :grin3
They were shop-bought but my Mum has a blackberry bush and an apple tree. I shall be utilising both when they are in season.
#8 - November 01, 2017, 05:00 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Just a side-note to this thread: there was a food fair today in our city, so John & I ambled down for a muse. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff people produce food from...and the names they're given! LadyChocolata is positively mainstream in comparison. Anyway, I brought the truffles and a pot of ganache and people seemed generally impressed (and bemused) with the flavours I have.
My name is down for an incubator kitchen next year!
Now, if I could getting my dragon flaring I would be really happy!
#9 - November 04, 2017, 08:14 AM

Poster Plus
How nifty of you and John to sell your wares!!

Now, I had to google "kitchen incubator" and am still a bit confused. By saying you have your name down for one next year, does this mean LadyChocolata will be part of a catering group?

:chocolate2 :chocolate2 :chocolate2

#10 - November 04, 2017, 01:26 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
How nifty of you and John to sell your wares!!

Now, I had to google "kitchen incubator" and am still a bit confused. By saying you have your name down for one next year, does this mean LadyChocolata will be part of a catering group?

:chocolate2 :chocolate2 :chocolate2

Essentially, an "incubator kitchen" is like a rung on the ladder for those intent on setting up a food product for the consumer market. Ireland has one of the strictest food hygiene regulations globally. It's really hard to get your food product certificated unless you have the correct production equipment, place of produce, etc.
In summary, to answer your question: no. I have to go through two more courses before I even set foot inside a "commercial kitchen". However, having my name on the list means that when I do complete those courses and get the certificates I might have at least a foot in the door.
There is a waiting list of over one hundred "wanna" food businesses for next year alone.
I remain hopeful! :muahaha
I made mango jelly last night. I'm either mad or crazy. Not sure which.
#11 - November 05, 2017, 05:37 AM

Poster Plus
That's great, Fiona!!!

Courses + hope= a recipe for good things on the horizon for you and LadyChocolata!!

Best, best wishes!!!

:stars3 :stars3 :stars3
#12 - November 05, 2017, 12:34 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Fun news. Keep jamming!
#13 - November 05, 2017, 07:54 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Hey, sounds like this is going great!  :goldstar
#14 - November 05, 2017, 10:46 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thankfully, yes. :wow :thankyou
Recently, I have had some peculiar and surprising followers on Instagram. I never realised how much that social media outlet is utilised. Instagram, particularly. I don't have many followers but of the ones I do, eleven are professional cuisine & chocolate producers.
It's an ego booster!
Ladychocolata, in case you're interested! :ha
#15 - November 07, 2017, 05:44 AM

Members: