SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

rewriting 1st chapter?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
I have written 2 different starts to my Fantasy Fiction book.  I like both of them.  I am thinking about merging the two together but I am worry about mixing up the tenses.  Any advice?

#1 - November 12, 2017, 02:02 PM
“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” ~Einstein~

Merge them and see how it goes,  Maybe you can chop things out, or see new directions.  As for tense concerns, that's what editing is for.  Get your big ideas down first and clean it up later. 
#2 - November 12, 2017, 05:21 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
So one's in past and one's present? Have you written the rest of the book, and you're just revising the beginning? If so, just use whatever tense you used for the rest of the book. If not, go with what you think sounds best, keeping it consistent, and then if you find halfway through that you want to change tenses, well, you won't be the first writer to change POV or tense.  :whistle
 :goodluck
#3 - November 13, 2017, 05:36 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you everyone on your feedback!  I just finished the update...I would love some thoughts on which one I should use.  If anyone is interested please email me at jkshenk @ Mac.com

Thank you!
#4 - November 13, 2017, 06:23 PM
“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” ~Einstein~

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
JB,

As an SCBWI member, you can post snippets of both for critique on the boards in the SCBWI section titled Online Critiques. Below that, there is a place to ask for a swap.
#5 - November 13, 2017, 06:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you Debbie~  I think I found what you were talking about and posted on it! 
#6 - November 13, 2017, 09:36 PM

Members: