SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Data on the benefits of authors visiting schools

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Does anyone know of hard data that shows the impact of author visits on students? I find lots of anecdotal information, but I'm looking for studies/large scale surveys, something researched based.
#1 - November 13, 2017, 03:38 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Alexis O'Neill has conducted this research.  You can find some info here http://schoolvisitexperts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/The-Value-of-an-Author-Visit.pdf  and her contact info is there to write and ask her about actual data.
#2 - November 13, 2017, 05:59 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Thanks, Rebecca. I have seen this from Alexis O'Neill before, but it really doesn't contain any concrete data. O'Neill admits that getting such data would be a challenge. I just wondered if anyone had seen anything in an educational journal or academic setting somewhere. I'm proposing a panel at a conference of school librarians/administrators/teachers and I wanted some quantifiable data about the value of author visits.
#3 - November 13, 2017, 06:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'd think that there is no way to control for variables. You'd have to control for age of students, socioeconomic status, length of visit, availability of books, familiarity of the author before and after the visit ( a bestselling author vs. someone  new) and more. For many visits, the local libraries and bookstores help promote. So how would you know what effect was from the promotion and what effect was from the visit? I can't see how a good scientific study could be done.
#4 - November 13, 2017, 06:28 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Judy,  I would recommend contacting Alexis directly.  I know she's worked with a colleague to set up pre and post interviews with students in conjunction with author visits and gathered data on (I think) their attitude toward writing and reading pre and post visit.  She's also conducted surveys with people who arranged school visits to gather data about the effect on students.
#5 - November 13, 2017, 07:28 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Members: