SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Contests and Challenges / Re: Chicken House Times Competition
« Last post by hairaplenty on Today at 08:17 AM »
Oh, great! Thanks for the info.   :wc
Social Media / Re: What social media outlets are most important?
« Last post by mrh on Today at 07:13 AM »
I think FB has become a venue for adults who are keeping up with their friends and family. It's possible that when you publish, your agent, editor, or peers will suggest a FB author page. Some of my friends who recently sold books are making author pages. I don't know if it's that useful or if it's just that you should have one because people will look you up there. It's not that easy to get people to like your page, though.

I would suggest starting with a website and Twitter. Branch out from there when and if social media platforms evolve to the point where you can see it would be smart to get onto another one. If you write YA, where there are fewer gatekeepers between you and your audience, you might want Instagram. But yes, a lot of the adults whose attention you want to get are on Twitter.  Also, the contests and information you can find on Twitter can be career-changing.
« Last post by olmue on Today at 05:58 AM »
My teenage kids say, " Nobody uses Facebook anymore." Actually, a lot of people use FB--but probably not so much your target audience. That would be more for the buyers in between you and them, I'd think. (Librarians, book sellers, etc.) All the different sites have their uses, but I'd probably tailor my response to whoever in the line of progression between you and the kid is most heavily using that resource.
« Last post by kwlarson on Today at 05:35 AM »
I'm just chiming in to agree with Rebecca and Darshana!

You have to pick a couple of platforms that 1) you are comfortable with (or can learn to use) and 2) are places where your readers and/or influencers hang out. For example, if you write picture books, most elementary kids don't have Twitter accounts, but lots of school librarians do. They have a huge role in getting books into the hands of students, so I'd think Twitter would be a valuable platform for a PB author.

You might pick some of your favorite authors in your genre/category and study how they use social media.

Finally there also are some great tips in this post: https://thewritelife.com/how-successful-authors-use-social-media-to-sell-more-books/

Best of luck!

Kirsten

About the Message Boards - Everyone Read! / Re: Basic Blueboard Rules
« Last post by AnneB on Yesterday at 08:08 PM »
Bumping again, with a reminder to pay special attention to Rules 6, 7, 10, and 12!
« Last post by RebeccaL-G on Yesterday at 06:49 PM »
Take into account the age of your audience and which type of social media you prefer. Choose one or two and go with it.   For me, it's Facebook and my author website because I like interacting on those platforms and my social media audience is primarily teachers and librarians. I find virtually no value in blogging, but know others who do.  I have a Twitter account, Goodreads profile and Pinterest pages, but none of these interest me much so I don't devote much of my time there.  If I wrote YA I'd consider more twitter and Instagram.   
« Last post by dkshumaker on Yesterday at 06:00 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on what you write and what you want to accomplish through social media. Book promotion? Connecting with other writers? Participating in pitch parties?

I write PBs and I have an author's website. I don't blog, it is just not a priority for me. I currently use FB for personal stuff and writer connections and resources, but I don't have any books to promote so I don't have my own FB Author page. I love Twitter also for the writing community and I assume when I have books to would use Twitter a bit for that. And I use Twitter for pitch parties.

I don't use Goodreads or Pinterest.

I do think YA authors need more social media platforms to connect with their readers. At least that is what I have heard.

I'll be curious as to what others say.
Social Media / What social media outlets are most important?
« Last post by vanessa-howard on Yesterday at 05:41 PM »
How would you rank the various social media outlets? What would you devote time to, in order of importance?
author website
blog
facebook page
twitter
goodreads
pinterest
others?
I am super busy, like everyone else, so I'm going to have to really prioritize what I spend time on. What are your thoughts?
Contests and Challenges / Re: Chicken House Times Competition
« Last post by mgmystery on Yesterday at 12:20 PM »
 £15 submission fee. According to Google, that's $19.35 US dollars, and we can use Paypal  ::-)
Research / Re: big outdoor events kids go to?
« Last post by dewsanddamps on Yesterday at 12:10 PM »
And winter sleigh rides! (Or hay rides in autumn.)

Also, the towns we've lived in (Midwest) have downtown Christmas walks in early December, where businesses are open in the evening and have food and drinks, and the library has craft projects to do. People wander around from business to business as they see fit. It would be a good way to get siblings together and away from their parents if that's your goal--parents usually let their kids go on ahead of them.

One town had a Santa parade, too, as the last event of the evening.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10