SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Kidlit Good News / Re: Sold MG novel!
« Last post by Marcia on Today at 08:13 AM »
Thanks so much everybody!
This looks great. Your trailer turned out wonderful. Congratulations, Denise!
Off Topic Board / Re: Anyone witnessed The Northern Lights?
« Last post by David Wright on Today at 07:27 AM »
I was reading through https://www.theaurorazone.com/about-the-aurora/the-science-of-the-northern-lights/the-best-time-to-see-the-northern-lights and remembered the best lights I've seen were in late August, west of Lake Superior, at about 2:00am. I was way out in the woods, and the sky lit up green, with bits of red and purple. Absolutely stunning.  But it was weirdly cold that night.
Kidlit Good News / Re: Sold MG novel!
« Last post by Kell on Today at 07:20 AM »
Congrats, Marcia!
Illustrating / Re: Image Size
« Last post by christripp on Today at 01:17 AM »
Just saying I agree with Stephanie and that "I've left about .25 of an inch on the edges" is absolutely what you want to do, you want to have that bleed area for adjustments, cropping of pages, gutter.
Illustrating / Re: Image Size
« Last post by Stephanie Ruble on Yesterday at 09:33 PM »
Not sure I completely understand, but here are two answers based on the two things I think you might be talking about:

1. If you've left an extra .25" on the sides, but the art is the correct size, that's standard to leave a bit of extra on the edges to account for cutting the paper.

2. If you've made  the art on a few pages smaller by .25" on the sides, and left the extra space blank by accident, that's not ideal. Resizing that small amount might be okay, depending on the art and how much it changes how it looks between the pages that have the extra blank space and the ones that don't. I'd suggest trying it to see how it looks (make a copy of the file and keep the original, just in case). Also print out a regular page and one that you've re-sized to see if you can notice a difference either on the screen or the printed out copies. If you can't notice a difference, it's probably okay. If it's distorted, or looks different than the other pages, then you might have to come up with a different fix.

If neither of these are what you meant, please re-post with more details.

Good luck!
« Last post by Schriscoe on Yesterday at 09:05 PM »
 :wow Awesome links! Thanks Anne and Debbie!! These photos make me want to see them more and more!!

If you head through NYC at all, let me know. I'll try to come into the city to meet you for lunch or dinner.
Will do, Debbie! That'll be awesome!! We are hoping to visit NYC so I can meet Jessica in person! So, I will let you know.
« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on Yesterday at 08:53 PM »
They are supposed to be visible in parts of the US at times, including New England. It's all about the conditions, as stated above.

If you head through NYC at all, let me know. I'll try to come into the city to meet you for lunch or dinner.

And here's another link for you: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/node/45
The Craft of Writing / Re: Genre Question
« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on Yesterday at 08:44 PM »
There are many picture books that are also topic books.  Sales potential depends on how broad the market is. An uncommon illness could make it very niche and hard to sell, an indefinite illness might work better (but sometimes specifics matter to a story). The rest is in how well written it is.
Graphic Novels / Re: Who's working on a Graphic Novel project?
« Last post by karen-marks on Yesterday at 08:42 PM »
Ish, I'm trying to get my feet wet attempting comics at the moment. Trying to decide between the traditional route or sing a digital drawing tablet
Sarah W,  good luck with you'll figure out what works best for you.

Once I settle down with the picture books, I plan to just draw  out the graphic novel, without much input, I have read quite a few, and don't want to be heavily influenced by the medium, in case my noggin can create a new format. that's  my plan anyhow and then work with software once I have a rough draft. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10