SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Who's working on a Graphic Novel project?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'm 5000 words into my first draft for what I hope will be a MG GN. If nothing else it will be a learning experience and an exercise in endurance right?  Hoping to connect with a few others & share experiences.  I'm balancing this project with a couple of PB WIPs and Life. 
#1 - May 04, 2017, 10:00 AM
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:59 PM by marla-lesage »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I've had a graphic novel in my head for several years now.  I've got a book full of sketches and plotlines and character notes, and a first draft drawn up of the prologue, but I haven't written up a script yet, partially because I'm not sure how to tackle it.  The prologue is wordless and was done fully in artwork, but for the rest of the graphic novel I feel like I need to write it up. 

Did you write first draft in prose, or is it set up like a script? 
#2 - May 04, 2017, 03:45 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Great thread! I have several NF ideas ready (not all are fully flushed out). I would like to know if you illustrate by hand or computer. What other tools do you all use?
#3 - May 04, 2017, 03:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Sophie I was really struggling with the how to write the script too. Mine is a mix of prose and screenplay style script. But it's the first draft so I figure it only has to exist & once I get the story flushed out I can put it into a better format. I started with a rough outline/pitch & am working on individual scenes/details, exploring, getting to know the characters. I've been book-mapping as I go which I find helpful in staying on focus (from Cheryl Klein's book). 

I haven't really sketched anything out yet. I think i'm taking the approach I use with picture books - will get a decent story & then move to sketches to revise & polish. I prefer to work traditionally so once I move to thumbnailing it will be pencil/ink on  Paper. I'd like to start some character sketches though. That might help. I did try a thumbnail of one scene... But I think I need to get the big picture under my belt than use the thumbnails to refine the individual scenes.
#4 - May 05, 2017, 05:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thought I'd update my progress - I just finished my 2nd draft! 
I switched over from Word to Scrivener after continuously misplacing my index card bookmap & Wow!
Scrivener has a comic scripting template built-in that I found really helped me with the writing process.

I'd love to hear how your projects are going - whether a first project or not!
#5 - June 15, 2017, 11:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations on your second draft Marla.   I use Scrivener for writing as well and love the ability to split up chapters and scenes into separate "documents", especially when I know a scene needs to be written but I haven't quite gotten there chronologically.

Unfortunately, my graphic novel is on the backburner while I work on other projects, but I have been doing a lot of general sketching exercises and life drawing. 
#6 - June 17, 2017, 01:21 PM

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Cool to hear that others are working on GN projects! 
I have three graphic novel projects in various modes of development (as well as other story projects):
 -- MG adventure (speculative), closest to query-ready agent submission and is the one I'm most focused on at the moment
 -- YA urban fantasy-ish, which has turned itself into more of an illustrated novel I think, with graphic novel elements; still in draft
 -- MG/YA fantasy, still in early draft mode

I also use Scrivener for GN and comic script development, but always start my story outlines in Word.
#7 - June 19, 2017, 09:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
 :hijacked Just for a moment to say hi to Tanja!! It's so great to see you on the boards!!!  It's been a while.  :love5

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread.  :grin3
#8 - June 19, 2017, 09:58 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
What does your process look like?
#9 - June 20, 2017, 12:50 AM

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
:hijacked Just for a moment to say hi to Tanja!! It's so great to see you on the boards!!!  It's been a while.  :love5

Hi Sharon -- thanks! :) I'm keeping busy...looks like you are, too -- congrats!

What does your process look like?

Hi Marla -- In the beginning stages, I tend to go back and forth from outline (Word) to script (Scrivener), with little or no art developed. However, I'll give myself detailed scene or art notes in the script because my writing is very visually inspired. Almost storyboard or watching a movie. :) The dialogue is generally developed after that first pass of the script draft, unless those pesky characters have already started shouting at me to be heard.   If that's the case, I'm also working on key character designs and have already pulled image inspiration or shot photos of my own for a "mood folder" while I'm writing the story.

After the first Scrivener draft is complete, I go to rough thumbnails, and update the script. I focus on how I want the pages to turn and reveal action, character interaction or dialogue, and pacing.  Consider what might work better as a two-page spread for impact or a chance to breathe, maybe chopped up and/or placed elsewhere, or removed entirely.  At this stage, I'm only sketching on letter-size copy paper per "page", usually with a ballpoint pen so no erasing! Nothing fancy.  :)  I'll be referencing and/or updating my Scrivener-compiled draft with edit notes for art and story as well.   Once I'm satisfied with the page layouts, and do another pass with the text added to make sure art and text leave enough space for each other and the panels flow well.

I've attached a sample of a current project (self-publishing for conventions), of the 2nd thumbnail stage, with updated roughs that focus on positioning of text (captions, dialogue and some SFX).  As you can see, the art is very rough and not "precious" -- I'm concerned only with layout and design, not detail.

After that is all worked out, I develop the much more detailed pencils on 11x17 bristol paper per page, unless it's a two-page spread and then I'll use the 19x24 size. Minimal if any changes needed at this point, or that's the plan. I'll print out the aforementioned thumbnail pen sketches, scaled up to fit each 11 x 17 page and transferred via my artograph lightpad(s) to bristol paper.  I'd rather do the detailed pencil art traditionally rather than digitally at this stage mostly because I enjoy drawing and working with graphite, but also because then I'm able to offer original art for sale later.  Inking I'll do digitally, as well as color, although I might do any cover art or additional poster prints traditionally painted (watercolors and acrylic). 

Once I have final color art completed in Photoshop, I'll do the text digitally as well, usually in Illustrator.  I've recently started to incorporate Clip Studio Paint for the "inking" and balloon stage. Maybe it will help me to work faster...maybe not.

I know that my current process is definitely not the fastest... 
But I love doing the work, and am most satisfied with the end result...and I hope that shows in both art and story to my readers.

- t
#10 - August 06, 2017, 02:02 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Tanya - it's rough but really taking shape!  I've done 3 drafts (one in word, two in scrivener). Now I'm going through my printed draft sketching out ideas for panels but not committing to panel shape/size as of yet. Thanks for the detailed post!
#11 - August 06, 2017, 05:37 PM

Ish, one of the first book genres I read were graphic novels. Or more specifically manga. But it's almost impossible to find an artist, and I'm more of a mind to pursue learning to do sequential art myself.

Plus, I've heard stuff like Shounen Jump only tends to accept national authors, rather than international.

Which has somewhat soured my opinion about comics, and manga specifically.

I mean I can't read comics these days without thinking "why hasn't this excellent writer been accepted in shounen jump or young jump?"
#12 - September 12, 2017, 06:06 AM
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:09 AM by SarahW »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
This is a fascinating thread! I've written the text manuscript for two graphic "nonfiction" kids books (one published, one soon-to-be published) and, with the second one, was required to create art suggestions as I went along, panel by panel. It was a wonderful learning experience. I'm learning a lot reading along through your comments as well. Keep 'em comin'!
#13 - September 18, 2017, 08:42 AM
author, critiquer, story coach
www.susanhughes.ca

most recent
Time To - board book series, '17
Up! -pb, '17
Making Canada Home -nf, '16

I've found it nearly impossible to find an article for my graphic novel scripts. And certain web comic communities are rude, rude, rude. Plus I have a limited budget, which puts constraints on when I can make art requests.

Limited as in, I'm currently unemployed.
#14 - October 03, 2017, 03:20 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I've found it nearly impossible to find an article for my graphic novel scripts.

Sarah, you could always take up illustration... There's quite a range in artistic ability when it comes to graphic novels. I've really enjoyed a couple that had very basic B&W linework.  Have you looked locally?

#15 - October 03, 2017, 06:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi all,

I'm so glad someone posted on this thread so it came to my attention! I've written several picture books, but am currently working on a graphic novel script. I'm an author, not an illustrator, but I've found that storyboarding has been the best way for me to start the project. I just can't write the words without imagining what the scenes might look like.

Through the process I've learned I would like to improve my visual thinking. What types of classes might you recommend for someone working on a graphic novel? Are there courses you can think of (online)? I'm also in the LA area, so I will check into the Writers Extension program at UCLA. Or is it best to just start with a basic drawing course to understand line, perspective, etc.?

Thanks!

Kirsten
#16 - October 04, 2017, 05:52 AM
Kirsten W. Larson

--
http://kirsten-w-larson.com
Authors and illustrators ... join me at SubItClub.com!

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Through the process I've learned I would like to improve my visual thinking. What types of classes might you recommend for someone working on a graphic novel? Are there courses you can think of (online)?

Kadenze has a fantastic free online course from the California College of the Arts that I think you might like. It's not a drawing course but is perfect for understanding how comics work & the types of panel to panel transitions.  https://www.kadenze.com/courses/comics-art-in-relationship/info

SVSlearn has a couple of good ones but they are geared towards illustrators so while I think Jake Parker's class would be helpful, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile to pay for. However if you're interested in drawing/illustrating I highly recommend SVSlearn - they have drawing/illustrating/painting classes for all levels & with the monthly subscription the prices are very reasonable.

Being in the city, you might have a number of in person options as well.
#17 - October 04, 2017, 06:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Oh my gosh, Marla, thank you for this! I am enrolling right now in the free course, and I'll check out SVSlearn.

Love the BlueBoards!

Kirsten
#18 - October 04, 2017, 07:59 AM
Kirsten W. Larson

--
http://kirsten-w-larson.com
Authors and illustrators ... join me at SubItClub.com!

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks for the links to the Courses with Kadenze
#19 - October 04, 2017, 11:29 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'd think art galleries and art museums might have talks or program that help you look at art differently. We did one that was for the kids at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan. It contained a craft and a great look at perspective using pieces in the museum.
#20 - October 04, 2017, 08:53 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Feeling lost but thinking to do a Graphic Novel, among other things I'm working on YA novels 60thousand word, MG, PB and I have this story that I made rough sketches for (potential graphic novel) but have no experience with scrivener, what if I just did it all by hand? I have no comic book or graphic novel experience, do you suppose it's worth my time to just throw something together to see if I can do a rough then move it to a format?  How do publishers like to see these documents?
Not sure I made any sense there but let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thanks
Like this thread. .
#21 - Yesterday at 05:44 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Hi Karen,

You sound overwhelmed by your possibilities. Might I suggest you focus on one or two projects that you'll see to completion (that means rough, critique, revision, more critiques, etc, until final). When you need down time on these, read graphic novels and anything else you'd like and study the industry. Pick what you're most passionate about. When you run out of steam on one, go to the other. Otherwise you may find yourself with a hundred works in varying stages but none ever submission ready. (This does not mean you can't make notes or even roughout pieces of another project. It's just about gaining focus and discipline so that you finish what you start.)

I believe graphic novels are submitted as rough story boards with all text but only one or two illustrations in a finished state. (Like picture book dummies.) But I could be off on this.
#22 - Yesterday at 08:31 PM

Members: