SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Best ways to get publishers to notice your illustration work?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hello everyone,
I have been promoting myself to children's publishers for a while now through email and mailers.
I was wondering, what have you guys found to be the most successful ways of getting publishers to notice your work?

What has worked best for you in the past?
Emailing?
Mailing Promotional products and samples?
Cold calling?
And when you do these things, what do you send and say?
How aggressive are you with sending in samples and work?

I'd love to hear from you all!
thanks
Michelle S
#1 - February 08, 2017, 01:28 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
When you send your promo work are you sending it directly to Art Directors or to the publisher in general? I've been told that the best way to promote your work is to have a steady Social Media presence along with sending promotional postcards often. Sending huge portfolio packets can be daunting to an already busy Art Director but a quick and well thought out postcard can grab their attention without being too cumbersome.

#2 - February 22, 2017, 10:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Postcards yes, calling no. What would an Illustrator have to say to an AD other then please hire me:)
Your art does the talking.
Also hearing AD's check out instagram, Pintrest, Behance.
I've seen attention given on Twitter as well, follow the AD's. They will occasionally tweet out an open call for subbing samples but just keeping abreast of what they are working on, who they like, what style they prefer (even who they are) all helps in your quest.
#3 - February 23, 2017, 05:56 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Dana Carey does monthly interviews with illustrators about their postcard mailings. You might find some helpful information there: https://subitclub.wordpress.com/category/the-postcard-post/
#4 - March 19, 2017, 08:56 PM
KICK! JUMP! CHOP! THE ADVENTURES OF THE NINJABREAD MAN, Sterling Publishing 2017
BEDTIME MONSTER, Raven Tree Press
SubItClub.wordpress.com

Members: