SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Does anybody have suggestions for online picture book writing classes?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region spain
I've been researching like crazy but there's so much out there it's hard to know what's good... any suggestions would be much appreciated!
#1 - March 09, 2017, 08:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
My favorite beginner picture book class is Making Picture Book Magic by Susanna Hill.
https://susannahill.com/for-writers/making-picture-book-magic/
Easy digestable lessons, great and timely feedback.
I have taken several PB classes, this is my favorite.
#2 - March 09, 2017, 08:42 AM
Flowering Minds - Children's Book Review Site
www.facebook.com/floweringminds
www.flowering-minds.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I have yet to take Susanna's class, but I have it on my list of classes to take. She is a great person and very helpful to the writing community. Thanks for the recommendation darshana.
#3 - March 09, 2017, 09:48 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
I've never taken it but Anastasia Suen offers one.
#4 - March 09, 2017, 09:49 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Check out www.manuscriptacademy.com. They offer an online "conference" of classes (videos) that you have access to for 30 days and can watch at any time or classes you can watch one at a time. The bigger conference package covers more than just picture books, but I enjoyed it. Great staff of agents, editors, and published authors.
#5 - March 09, 2017, 10:24 AM
Lisa Katzenberger
@FictionCity
www.lisakatzenberger.com

Poster Plus
I really liked the classes through The Institute of Children's Literature. Some Blueboarders have even been instructors!

https://www.instituteforwriters.com/about/institute-of-childrens-literature/
#6 - March 09, 2017, 01:01 PM
Mama's New Do, November 2015
The Repurposed Stories of a Buzzard's Son, TBA
Mayflower Marsh, TBA

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
I second what Darshana said. I found Susanna Hill's MPBM class to be very comprehensive.
#7 - March 10, 2017, 09:51 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region spain
Thanks everyone! Darshana and Kirsten, did you guys take the Interactive or Self-Study level?
#8 - March 10, 2017, 02:04 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Harold Underdown has one. I've only seen the free webinar that was part of it, but it was excellent.
#9 - March 10, 2017, 05:35 PM
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
PIGLOO (Henry Holt, 2016)
among others

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
UCLA Extension program has online classes including a picture book class with Terry Pierce.  I've heard lots of good things from attendees.
#10 - March 11, 2017, 08:18 PM
Rebecca L-G
Orphan Trains: Taking the Rails to a New Life
For the Right to Learn: Malala Yousafzai's Story
www.rebeccalangston-george.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I've also done Harold's free webinar, and I'm sure the class is amazing.
#11 - March 12, 2017, 06:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'm doing Arree Chung's Storyteller Academy ( http://www.storytelleracademy.com/p/spring-2017/ )
I've been writing for a few years & am finding lots of helpful info & it would be great for new writers. Arree gets you making picture book dummies which is great for both illustrators & non-illustrators. I signed up for a critique group with Arree as I wanted to have the feedback from a published author/illustrator & not just the course. But there's lots of different price points. It's very indepth & you have access to any future versions of the course.

When I signed up he did a free webinar beforehand which is a great way to see if you might like the course.

I've just signed up to do a MG course at Children's Book Academy - I've heard great things about their courses too.

If you're looking for free - make sure you sign up for Kidlit Summer School when time rolls around. (Not PB specific but it's free & great for everyone);
#12 - March 13, 2017, 12:15 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Thanks, Maria! I didn't know about the Storyteller Academy. I have added it to the table of online writing workshops on my website.
#13 - March 13, 2017, 03:08 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Children's & YA Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I've taken a few of these reasonably priced webinars and found them helpful. http://www.kidlitcollege.com/store/c8/Webinars.html
#14 - March 14, 2017, 11:25 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region spain
Harold Underdown has one. I've only seen the free webinar that was part of it, but it was excellent.

Do you have a link by chance? I tried searching on his site but didn't find anything...

UCLA Extension program has online classes including a picture book class with Terry Pierce.  I've heard lots of good things from attendees.

Shoot looks like it's no longer available. Maybe another year or semester?

I've also done Harold's free webinar, and I'm sure the class is amazing.

Do you have a link to the free webinar?
#15 - March 14, 2017, 12:03 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
The best bet for Harold is to follow him on Facebook or other social media. He'll mention when he's doing one. I don't know that there is a dedicated web page for them. You can also keep checking this page for updates: http://www.underdown.org/conferences.htm. The online classes are all preceded by a free webinar, or at least they have been up until now. I assume that will continue. You can always ask when they next post a webinar.
#16 - March 20, 2017, 07:24 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Lindsay - Interactive. They didn't have the self-study back then. Of all the classes I have taken Susanna is the one instructor who has provided the most direct feedback to question and homework assignments which I love. I learn by Q&A since it helps to solidify the concepts for me.
#17 - March 20, 2017, 10:28 AM
Flowering Minds - Children's Book Review Site
www.facebook.com/floweringminds
www.flowering-minds.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region spain
Excellent, thank you Debbie and Darshana!
#18 - March 20, 2017, 03:46 PM

Members: