Author Topic: Basic question: Do I need to write the book first?  (Read 190 times)

Offline charmamine-dymond

• New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • I love kids' books!
Basic question: Do I need to write the book first?
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:50 AM »
The children's book world is new to me. (From a writing perspective, that is. I read plenty of kidlit!) I'm slowly working on a middle grade novel, but I also have a few ideas for non-fiction middle grade books. So I'm in research mode right now. Do I write the book first, then send off a query and proposal to agents or publishers? Or do I just write a query and proposal and then write the book if it gets accepted?

I know - basic newbie question! But I keep reading differing opinions on this - so I thought I'd come to the experts! :)

Cheers!

Offline Melody

• Poster Plus
Re: Basic question: Do I need to write the book first?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:08 AM »
First off, I do not write non-fiction. I have heard, however, that for non-fiction you still have to write the first few chapters, and then summarize the rest. I doubt that this would hold true for your first book, though. Others who write NF would know better. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon.
ROYALLY ENTITLED (Historical YA) coming soon to Clean Reads.
https://twitter.com/Melody_Delgado_

Online Vijaya

• Global Moderator
  • Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
  • LISTEN. Let all mortal flesh keep silence ...
    • Reading, Writing, Ruminating
Re: Basic question: Do I need to write the book first?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:10 AM »
How fun to have another NF writer here. I'd say write a chapter or two, outline the rest and then think about querying. Most NF is sold on proposal.

Here's a good thread on it: http://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=78761.msg999140#msg999140

Good luck, Vijaya
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces