SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Author bio for new writers

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I am creating an author website and am struggling with the About Me page. I am a beginning writer and the one book I have published is for adults, not kids. I am looking at other author websites for ideas but they all have links to their published books and tout their speaking experiences, etc.

Any recommendations for sample websites from newer writers?
#1 - March 20, 2017, 08:15 AM

Poster Plus
Welcome to the Blueboard, Esther!!   :welcome2

Your question is a bit tricky because children's writers who have websites usually have something to credit - - articles, a book, magazine contest win, etc. You might gain inspiration by going to the Good News thread and noticing which writers have gotten their first acceptances or publications. From there, you can visit their sites and see how they handle the About Me side of things.

All that said, you DO have something to credit!! You don't have to downplay your publishing experience, even though it's not yet in the children's world. In your bio, you could mention your book - and even link to it, if appropriate - and explain how you're now working on children's projects. The author websites I like the best include childhood photos and descriptions of their favorite children's books and authors from then and now. You could to that, too!!

Best, best wishes to you, Esther!! Have fun with it!!

:flowers2

(Disclaimer: I don't recommend my own blog as an example because I seldom post. The Blueboard is as about social as I get. Something I need to work on.....)
#2 - March 21, 2017, 04:22 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Thank you. I love the idea of creating a collection of my favorite children's books!
#3 - March 21, 2017, 05:03 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Esther, Carrots gave excellent advice and she is correct in telling you that your published book counts!

What I like in websites is something about the writer's journey, your favorite books, and pictures. I also like to know if you have any special interests like bugs or math or painting or riding. 

I will caution you though about saying "aspiring writer." This bugs me no end. You are a writer because you write. I mention it only because I've seen it too many times.

Good luck with it. And when you're ready, please post a link so we can peek.
Vijaya

#4 - March 21, 2017, 06:16 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I love the advice that was giving to Esther from both people, I am also taking it to heart as a beginner and learning my lessons of past mistakes. Very good and great advice.
#5 - March 21, 2017, 06:31 PM

Poster Plus
And when you're ready, please post a link so we can peek.

Yes, yes, please do, Esther!!

And welcome to the Blueboard, Alphonso!!

:welcome

#6 - March 22, 2017, 05:45 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Vijaya,
Thanks for the tips. And yes, I am telling everyone I am a writer because they want to know why I'm working only part time. I do get a bit embarrassed though when they ask for details, and I am only starting to submit!
#7 - March 22, 2017, 07:16 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I do get a bit embarrassed though when they ask for details, and I am only starting to submit!

Yup. That's how I feel about my novels. And when you do say you've published something, they want to know how much you made and whether they'd know of it. But as time goes by I don't get as embarrassed. I'm just so grateful for this writing life.
#8 - March 22, 2017, 07:50 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: