SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Split centuries,

Discussion started on

I wrote a middle grade story a while back that's split between 2016 and the 19th century, and how timelines can often blend together on the same physical plane.

Can fiction be both set in a futuristic setting (like Next Sunday A.D.) and the 19th century? Would it just go under science fiction?

(It's a reference to how places in the US seem to make one travel to the 19th century, even though you didn't realize you walked out of time.)

There isn't any particular reason for the time travel, it just happens that way.

For my story Duality Of Centuries.
#1 - September 19, 2017, 06:08 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
There are a number of books that take place in two time periods. I think time travel makes you, at least, fantasy. Also, if the characters connect in some spiritual way across time or distance or both, you' likely call that fantasy. But you could have a contemporary fiction mixed with historical fiction and just call it fiction. An example would be a story that followed a family for generations with the final piece being contemporary.

The book you describe would be Sci fi only if there was scientifically plausible explanation of the time travel. It doesn't sound like you have that. Sounds cool though.
#2 - September 19, 2017, 08:23 PM

There are a number of books that take place in two time periods. I think time travel makes you, at least, fantasy. Also, if the characters connect in some spiritual way across time or distance or both, you' likely call that fantasy. But you could have a contemporary fiction mixed with historical fiction and just call it fiction. An example would be a story that followed a family for generations with the final piece being contemporary.

The book you describe would be Sci fi only if there was scientifically plausible explanation of the time travel. It doesn't sound like you have that. Sounds cool though.

Cool, I might expand it into a full blown middle grade series at some point. I feel weird calling it middle grade, as it's really more Young Adult with Middle Grade age characters.

(Not just dead parents, but is a parent, to the other kids. Also, dream-scanners as elite psychic spies. And lots of brain enhancers.)
#3 - September 20, 2017, 10:45 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Finish it and then decide if the character ages work for the market. You can always revise to YA ages if you need to. But the key is to get it written and then get it polished.
#4 - September 20, 2017, 03:25 PM

Members: