SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Grammarphiliac in Distress!

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
That's not actually correct, I just wanted to grab your attention.  :muahaha
My next blog for SCBWI Ireland in October will be concentrated on the "Art of Grammar" board.

So, my question: why do you come here?
Cheers,
TE. :thankyou
#1 - September 30, 2017, 07:27 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I think at one time, I requested this thread. Don't think they started it because of me, (though my grammar is cringe-worthy) but am glad they did.
It's an area I struggle with, though I'm glad to report I've learned so much and have gotten better over the years. My anxiety over grammar goes back to a highly dysfunctional childhood where mental, and even sometimes, physical abuse was the outcome to my poor academic growth. If you are told you are stupid   :stuck enough times, it becomes a part of who you are. I guess the good news is that possibly the reason I write at all is to prove those people wrong.   :goldstar
And that may be TMI!  It's all good.  :running
#2 - September 30, 2017, 01:20 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Possibly one of the reasons people struggle with grammar is because English is a beautiful language, you can express yourself in so many ways. But there lies the pitfall:sometimes the number of ways to express what you want to convey leaves you undecided in saying what you can in the best way.
Hairaplenty: although it wouldn't be considered "abuse" it certainly often felt like a mental one: I come from a highly academic family of teachers, engineers, doctors and lawyers, all with degrees.
I'm looked down on because I have nothing to speak of. Except that  I love expression, dialogue and developing a project in the hope that I can put a smile on a child's face.
To me, grammar plays a huge part of that and getting it perfect is paramount.

Anyway, sorry, like you I digressed. Thanks.
#3 - October 01, 2017, 05:55 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
No worries, thunderingelephants. Always interesting to note how we come to the kind of people we are now.
#4 - October 01, 2017, 08:25 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
English is ever evolving. Norms change. Now they can be singular in order to be gender neutral. This is confusing, but necessary. Getting other people's opinions on grammar topics helps us all make sure we make sense to more than just ourselves.

Beyond that, I've become something of an expert on Chicago style by becoming a copy editor. One thing I learned is some grammar is a stylistic choice. To comma or not to comma. Places like this help me see why others choose as they do and develop my own style.
#5 - October 01, 2017, 09:42 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
What's also always educating and sometimes contentious is the diversity between American English & Oxford English. There are so many times I've read some American literature and thought I would love to grab the writer for being so grammatically incorrect. Then I realise that it is the norm for their way of speaking.  Even realise was automatically corrected into American English! :uhuh
I agree, Debbie, about the change of grammar and trends will continue to change, as is the nature of things. It is a shame on occasion some expression has been lost.
I am a long-winder and I love it but I also appreciate that readers aren't!
#6 - October 02, 2017, 05:07 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
As someone who often copy edits British English into American, I agree with your estimation of the two. Whenever I read your typing, I have to remind myself that the spelling isn't wrong, just different. It's gotten so I can tell who's a Brit.
#7 - October 02, 2017, 08:02 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
As someone who often copy edits British English into American, I agree with your estimation of the two. Whenever I read your typing, I have to remind myself that the spelling isn't wrong, just different. It's gotten so I can tell who's a Brit.

Irish, Debbie. :clover :muahaha But you do have a point.  Even on occasion it is said that grammatically speaking, Irish are better at English than the English themselves. Then you get into the regional accents and God help you!
#8 - October 03, 2017, 04:17 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I'm back because I just realised (realized :ha) that I have yet to start drafting my blog and I didn't really get affirmative responses on my original query.

What would you look for when you hit the section on the Art of Grammar?
Thanks,
TE.
#9 - October 11, 2017, 06:19 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thundering, I don't come to the Grammar board often. I have a couple of good resources at home but when I do visit I feel good that I'm not the only one with pet peeves regarding grammar.

I'm so glad you're writing about grammar because only you could make it more interesting :grin3 Happy :writing3

#10 - October 11, 2017, 05:06 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
I think I did answer your question above. I come to get views on how English is changing. The rules aren't strict. A lot more is style choice than we think. So I come to focus on my own style by clarifying my impressions of the language through discussions. I also come to help others.
#11 - October 11, 2017, 08:10 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I think I did answer your question above. I come to get views on how English is changing. The rules aren't strict. A lot more is style choice than we think. So I come to focus on my own style by clarifying my impressions of the language through discussions. I also come to help others.

Yet again, Debbie, I typed before I looked. I've never been good at reviewing my own posts. Thanks.
One thing I noticed, unless I'm mistaken, is that we all come here to help each other, as is tradition with the blueboards, but I also think we come here out of curiosity. I visit to see what predicaments other find themselves in and the advice they are given.
#12 - October 12, 2017, 06:30 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL

One thing I noticed, unless I'm mistaken, is that we all come here to help each other, as is tradition with the blueboards.

This is what's so great about the place. But, yes, I also have that curiosity about what the question will be.
#13 - October 12, 2017, 06:19 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thanks, again.
I have about 75% drafted of the blog post and will be sending it to Colleen next week.
Non-fiction is much harder than I expected!
#14 - October 13, 2017, 05:33 AM

Members: