SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights trenches

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Hi All,
I saw a post on here for the trenches thread, but I can't find it anywhere. Can someone help me locate it? I've had a sub out to Highlights which has been "in progress" on submittable since March 8. There is no link to follow up on submittable -- so I'm at a loss how to figure out what is happening with the sub. Did it get lost in cyberspace? Did I receive a rejection in my junk mail that I missed and they forgot to change the status? I'm clueless! If I could find the trenches, maybe I'd see whether everyone is in the same boat or not..
Thanks in advance!
#1 - October 04, 2017, 06:18 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Here is the link to the current "trench." It's name changes monthly.  https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=84983.msg1065865#msg1065865
Here is the link to Highlights response times  https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=697.0
As someone who has done a lot of work with Highlights & Highlights High Five, I wouldn't be terribly concerned that you haven't heard back yet. It can take a while. I did most of my work prior to their Submittable system, but I'm guessing that "in progress" means they have received it. Sometimes the fact it takes longer can indicate there is some interest.  I always found rejections came faster than acceptances with them.
#2 - October 04, 2017, 06:56 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Okay, great! Thank you for the links and especially for sharing your personal experience.  Very much appreciated.
#3 - October 04, 2017, 07:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I submitted last February and received an acceptance last week --- so about seven months.  This will be my 11th sale to Highlights/High Five.  They receive sooooooo many submissions that it really does take a long time.  Don't give up!
#4 - October 04, 2017, 12:49 PM
Legend of The Beaver's Tail '15
Schnitzel: A Cautionary Tale for Lazy Louts,  '16
Moo La La! Cow Goes Shopping, '17
Piece by Piece, '17

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Good to know! Thanks for sharing  :thanx
And congrats!   :stars3
#5 - October 04, 2017, 02:44 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Toni, this is the thread where most of us have been sharing our Highlights experiences and celebrating or commiserating with each other.

https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=82314.0

The Response Time Thread gives the bare facts of submission time and response time, which is very helpful for those who are looking for that information. But you can't congratulate people or make other comments there, so I think that's why this other thread evolved.

Best wishes to you on your submission, Toni. I hope you hear a response soon and that it's one we can help you celebrate on.

Stephanie, congrats on your acceptance and on those 10 others!!  :stars3  That's awesome!
#6 - October 04, 2017, 05:19 PM

Members: