SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Anyone write sci fi short stories?

Discussion started on

I would love to hook up with anyone who also writes sci fi short stories for YA and MG audiences. Anyone here? Any suggestions?
#1 - June 27, 2017, 11:21 AM
The Bridge of Haunted Souls
Papyrus Publishing

It used to be the main thing I wrote. Although over time, my work became more like Low Tech techno thrillers with magic realism, and an increasingly older demographic. (I tend to write short stories series, about a continuous main character.)

By tech thriller, I'm not sure if tech noir would be better though. I'm going for a very specific "reverse-espionage" kind of context.

If one story is a chapter book, then the next is a middle grade, then the next is a young adult. Concluding with a New Adult story. (I'm not just talking age of MC, I mean the actual feel gets darker and grittier and more cynical as the MC ages.)

The only difference is I do stand alone volumes of short stories, as suppose to giant book series.
#2 - August 05, 2017, 01:11 PM
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:13 PM by SarahW »
Magnet Girl Wireless -- NA ESP Punk -- Complete
Life Like Wires In Sand -- NA Bleeding Edge SF -- Complete
Uploaded Fairy -- YA Cyberpunk -- Complete

Are any publishers taking collections of sci fi stories?
#3 - August 05, 2017, 02:03 PM
The Bridge of Haunted Souls
Papyrus Publishing

Are any publishers taking collections of sci fi stories?

I'm not sure, the only things I had taken were stand alones. Yes I know, single stories taken even though I do collection.

Well that, and an apparently Literary novella. Apparently in the old sense of the word.
#4 - August 05, 2017, 03:45 PM
Magnet Girl Wireless -- NA ESP Punk -- Complete
Life Like Wires In Sand -- NA Bleeding Edge SF -- Complete
Uploaded Fairy -- YA Cyberpunk -- Complete

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
My best guess is that the best way to break in to the anthology market is to get a story accepted here and there and later get one of the companies that published the anthos or mags you've written for to take an anthology of your work. The sf/f market has always been that way. I doubt it's different for children than adults.
#5 - August 05, 2017, 09:37 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
I just branched out into writing a short story that is fantasy. As far as publishing a single story, I know some publishers will do them, but they want them to be at least 15,000 words long.  Not sure about anthologies, as I've only been pubbed in anthologies that included other authors. My story is only 5000 words so I pubbed it myself.

Edited to add: I tried to attach the cover shot, but it didn't take, so I tried to save it as my profile picture, and there it is.
#6 - August 06, 2017, 11:17 AM
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:19 AM by Melody »
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) Out now on Amazon, Kobo, B&N. OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) coming Sept 5.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Members: