SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Who's working on their first GN project?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'm 5000 words into my first draft for what I hope will be a MG GN. If nothing else it will be a learning experience and an exercise in endurance right?  Hoping to connect with a few others & share experiences.  I'm balancing this project with a couple of PB WIPs and Life. 
#1 - May 04, 2017, 10:00 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I've had a graphic novel in my head for several years now.  I've got a book full of sketches and plotlines and character notes, and a first draft drawn up of the prologue, but I haven't written up a script yet, partially because I'm not sure how to tackle it.  The prologue is wordless and was done fully in artwork, but for the rest of the graphic novel I feel like I need to write it up. 

Did you write first draft in prose, or is it set up like a script? 
#2 - May 04, 2017, 03:45 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Great thread! I have several NF ideas ready (not all are fully flushed out). I would like to know if you illustrate by hand or computer. What other tools do you all use?
#3 - May 04, 2017, 03:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Sophie I was really struggling with the how to write the script too. Mine is a mix of prose and screenplay style script. But it's the first draft so I figure it only has to exist & once I get the story flushed out I can put it into a better format. I started with a rough outline/pitch & am working on individual scenes/details, exploring, getting to know the characters. I've been book-mapping as I go which I find helpful in staying on focus (from Cheryl Klein's book). 

I haven't really sketched anything out yet. I think i'm taking the approach I use with picture books - will get a decent story & then move to sketches to revise & polish. I prefer to work traditionally so once I move to thumbnailing it will be pencil/ink on  Paper. I'd like to start some character sketches though. That might help. I did try a thumbnail of one scene... But I think I need to get the big picture under my belt than use the thumbnails to refine the individual scenes.
#4 - May 05, 2017, 05:54 AM

Members: