SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Would pre-teen girls at a sleepover still use a CD Player?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
My pre-teen girls (characters) are attending a sleepover and will practice dancing for a school dance.  I had planned on one showing up with a player and others bringing their favorite CDs. :umm However, I know that most kids have their own MP3 players and sales of the audio CD has dropped. What would they use to play music ?

#1 - May 19, 2017, 04:05 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
My girls are teens and they use their iPhones to play music. They haven't used a CD player in a really long time (I definitely don't remember them using one from middle school on).
#2 - May 19, 2017, 04:25 PM

Poster Plus
Thanks, Mindy!  So I assume that one iPhone could play loud enough for all the girls to hear, right?
#3 - May 19, 2017, 04:52 PM
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:00 PM by Cathie »

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Yup to phones. A host would likely have a speaker/dock, so that others can sync their phones to play the music for all. Those speakers/docks are really small and portable -- my 14yo brings his around with him -- and provide loud, good-quality sound. Anyone can sync to the device.

None of my kids (ages 15/14/12/11) own CDs (though I do, and have a working CD player). They might make an iTunes playlist, but usually they just use a Spotify or Apple music playlist.
#4 - May 19, 2017, 05:00 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
 :exactly

You're welcome, Cathie. :)

The clarity and volume through the speaker is amazing (although the volume may be a little too good at times).
#5 - May 19, 2017, 05:21 PM

Poster Plus
Jenna and Mindy  :yourock  Thank you so much!
#6 - May 19, 2017, 05:26 PM

We're probably the odd family, but since my husband and I still use CDs my kids like them too.  They'll play them on their computer and in the car.  But they also listen to most of their music on their phones.
#7 - May 19, 2017, 08:01 PM
SCHOOL OF CHARM
Katherine Tegen/HarperCollins
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY SERIES
Scholastic 2017
BACK ON THE MAP
Skypony Press 2017
WISH FAIRY SERIES 2018

Poster Plus
Thank you,  Lisa, I bet your family is not that odd at all because music companies still release new music albums on CD as well as downloads.
#8 - May 20, 2017, 09:46 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
My teen and her friends listen to you tube music ALL NIGHT. They look up new and 'old'(Like 90s and 2000s) and then actually old stuff, then bring it right back around to the latest. Also, still belting out the random Disney song from things they liked when they were 'kids'.
#9 - May 21, 2017, 11:53 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
My kids are 15 and 12. My son will play music on his phone, mostly classical. (I'm not a classical fan.) They also will use our CDs at home because they have old favorites. Both of their phones are by Samsung as is my husband's. Mine still flips open. I think you'll find this varies depending on the family culture.
#10 - May 21, 2017, 08:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'm going to say maybe.

We don't have a CD player in the house, but we could possibly play them in the computer or maybe the xbox? I remember being a kid & having a blast listening to records while sleeping over at a friends house. It was a novelty & we got to hear some great music for the first time. Our own music at the time would have been listened to via CD player. So... just because they listen to their regular tunes on their phones/ipods doesn't mean they can't discover listening to something out of the ordinary.

I also got a kick out of listening to my grandparents/uncles old 8 tracks for the same reason.

Also kids might be stuck with something older - my kids have an ipod classic & an mp3 play (both around 7-8 years old) because we're not buying them anything new when we have older tech to pass down for free.
#11 - May 22, 2017, 07:20 AM

Poster Plus
Thank you, Marla, that gives me a possible new slant :).
#12 - May 22, 2017, 08:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
My girls, 12 and 17, both have CD players and some CDs, They also make their own CDs from playlists to play in the car or in their room.  My youngest loves playing music from youtube.

But apparently I'm pretty out of touch as to how people listen to music. In my latest book, I'd written that the art teacher put on a CD in class and my editor asked me to update it. So I asked my high school daughter what teachers use at her school and she said that her teacher used a Pandora playlist. So I changed it and a young blogger remarked ("Pandora playlist? I haven't used one in years") hahaha!

Guess you have to be up-to-date with technology in books, but there are still people out there who use things that are considered outdated.
#13 - June 01, 2017, 09:18 AM
EXTRAORDINARY ( Skypony Press  May 2015)
CALL ME SUNFLOWER (Skypony Press May 2017)

They would use their phones with a bluetooth speaker
#14 - June 02, 2017, 07:09 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I'm not a kid, but at my house all music goes through Amazon Echo. You'd say "Alexa, play X" and she'd either play the playlist or a particular song or artist you selected.

#15 - June 02, 2017, 01:28 PM

Chidren's Friendship Expert
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Given that you want your book to be out for a long time, I wouldn't include dead or dying technology. Most tweens and teens use their phones for music.
#16 - June 03, 2017, 06:02 PM
Eileen Kennedy-Moore, PhD
author/psychologist
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
www.GrowingFriendshipsBlog.com *For parents
www.DrFriendtastic.com *FOR KIDS!

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
Given that you want your book to be out for a long time, I wouldn't include dead or dying technology. Most tweens and teens use their phones for music.

Somehow I think this tech too will die. Oh, the woes o fthe modern author. The tech is gone by the time we send the book to an editor.
#17 - June 04, 2017, 09:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
When it comes to tech details, they are a-changing in an increasing speed. A chapter book I wrote "only" four years ago has such outdated details.  :surrenderpants

Some solutions that are valid:
A. Set the story at a specific time and place, and have the tech details be accurate for that time, even if that is very recent, like a year ago. (I think this is what you are aiming for with your WIP and question)
B. Set it in alternative reality, where the techie details are invented.
C. Avoid all such details. Or if mentioned, give them some general non-specific presence, such as "listening to music  and dancing,"-- no mention of specifics. (I can't imagine that five years from now girls would not be dancing, but who knows?  :whistle )

Anything else in tech will likely be outdated no matter what, IMO, by the time a story is acquired and then later, when it comes out.  :shrug
#18 - June 05, 2017, 11:49 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
Reread the original question. What if the girls just used a radio? At the dance, they won't be able to control the music that plays. They could play a local station on a laptop. Dancing depends a lot on the kind of music.
#19 - June 12, 2017, 10:56 AM

Members: