SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

This Might Get Me Fired!

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Don't worry, I am unemployed so it's hardly likely: I just wanted a quirky title to drag you in.

However, it is a question about dragons. I was walking past a chinese take-away today, called Golden Dragon and it gave me a ridiculous notion about a dragon struggling to understand the true meaning of breathing fire and why we humans always want to extinguish them. Except when we barbecue. She doesn't get it.
Too cliched?  I'm struggling with writing at the moment (except for our SCBWI blog, thankfully.) and I'm trying to take on a new challenge.
I'll probably dump the project regardless. I just need a fresh outlook.
Thanks.
#1 - July 31, 2017, 10:07 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I sent myself to the library last week. I wasn't allowed to come home until I had a first draft of a new book. It worked.

I have a dragon idea on my drafting table. Nowhere near what yours is though. Play the "what if" game until you find a hook that makes you go wow- not a cliché.
#2 - July 31, 2017, 10:36 AM
http://patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala Coloring Book 2016
The Story Circle 2016
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Ideas aren't execution. Can you write it in a way that isn't cliche? It could be very cute. Fires are bad until we roast marshmallows and tell ghost stories. I can see that confusing a young child too.
#3 - July 31, 2017, 08:53 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Ideas aren't execution. Can you write it in a way that isn't cliche? It could be very cute. Fires are bad until we roast marshmallows and tell ghost stories. I can see that confusing a young child too.

Are you referring to the confusion in a positive or negative sense, Debi? Confusion can lead to the child becoming frustrated or it can entice him to ask questions and wonder why the dragon might not breathe fire.
I would love to see a dragon get a cold.
Strange mood this morning!
#4 - August 01, 2017, 02:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'm referring to the dragon who is the stand in for a child in your story. It's from your post, the dragon is "struggling to understand..."
#5 - August 01, 2017, 05:56 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thundering, I love PBs that have a surprising twist. Only you can come up with that regarding your cute little dragon who is trying to understand humans and their penchant for putting out fires.

Good luck brainstorming and writing. V.
#6 - August 01, 2017, 08:52 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
  Thanks, Vijaya & Debi. :grouphug2
Unfortunately, since John's illness landed him in hospital his hagrid of a mother has provided me with some wrath that I just want to take it out on something. My pen being the implement of choice because otherwise I should not leave the house! :grrr :axed

#7 - August 01, 2017, 10:47 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Just an update: John's much better so I dumped him and left him to his own devices and went for a cappuccino in my writing haven.
Then I started drafting.
I think it's an early reader, or MG, maybe, but they're probably too old.
I have one problem: sometimes I get too immersed in what the character looks like and become too descriptive.
It's called Dragon Apprentice but I have an inclination I might need to change that because every time I read it I envisage "Dragon's Den" and keep hearing "Dragon, you're out!".

Can you get yellow dragons? :wc
#8 - August 07, 2017, 12:52 AM

Members: