SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

School Librarians, what do YOU want from an author presentation?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I posed this question on Twitter, too.

School librarians, when you attend a conference of librarians and have a chance to choose your workshops, what topics would make you choose a children's author's session? What could an author share that you would find valuable/useful in your school library or in your daily work?

I'm all ears!
#1 - August 12, 2017, 08:16 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Jody, I'm a public librarian, but I help organize author visits to my city with SLMS colleagues, so this might not give you a real answer to your question, but I can say that the SLMSs I work with tend to like to see:

1) authors who they may want to book for their schools, almost as a way to preview them and their work and presentations,

2) authors who can tell them how their books fit into the current curriculum "fads" (STEM/STEAM/Common Core/etc.), and

3) authors who are simply good storytellers and talk about how the teachers/school librarians in their lives have helped them in their career paths, so they know they are potentially fostering the next generations of writers.

Good luck!
#2 - August 13, 2017, 05:49 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Dinalapomy101, ooh, thanks!

So for number 2, it sounds like they want to know how they can use your book with students, so sharing one's activity/discussion guide that ties into the curriculum would be good. Would you think a reading of the book would be included in the presentation (from a pdf, so it would be big/projected)? What about fiction/nonfiction book pairings? Would that be useful to them?

#3 - August 13, 2017, 06:53 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Reading a short picture book is definitely OK -- longer texts I'd say do a short snippet.

Fiction/NF book pairings is a great idea!
#4 - August 17, 2017, 05:18 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Members: