SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

New novel criticque

Discussion started on

Hello All;

I have posted about my second novel and it is a contemporary lit. fiction piece. I really want to have someone objective read the novel and give feedback. Does anyone here know of a way to get this done without spending a fortune? Also, the reader must be reliable and capable of the task. If it's a beta reader, I'm happy to provide a read in return for them.

Thanks all :thankyou
#1 - September 11, 2017, 08:38 AM
The Bridge of Haunted Souls
Papyrus Publishing

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Haunted, our own Marcia (mrh) offers novel critiques at a reasonable price.  http://www.marciahoehne.com/critiquing-and-editing.html  If you don't want to pay, a critique partner is the best route. Be patient as you try to find a partner who's a good fit. And the only way to find out is to do a test swap with a chapter or two and see whether you two are a good fit.

Two books to help you along this process are: Second Sight by Cheryl Klein and Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Brown and Dave King.
Good luck. Vijaya
#2 - September 11, 2017, 11:36 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Thanks. I have considered paying, so I'll look into that.
#3 - September 11, 2017, 12:35 PM
The Bridge of Haunted Souls
Papyrus Publishing

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You may also try asking for beta readers on other forums. I found a couple on Absolute Write. Got good but opposing feedback from both. It pointed to separate problems, which I hope I've solved both of. Local and online courses are also great ways (not mentioned in your other thread) to meet other writers and form a group.
#4 - September 11, 2017, 06:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I also do for-a-fee beta-reading and critiques. Please have a look at my website --  http://www.susanhughes.ca/manuscript-critiques/ -- and of course get in touch if you need more information or if you have any questions!
#5 - September 18, 2017, 08:25 AM
author, critiquer, story coach
www.susanhughes.ca

most recent
Time To - board book series, '17
Up! -pb, '17
Making Canada Home -nf, '16

Members: