SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Accidentally Saving Over Work

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
 :spaz :faint

This might seem like a stupid question but does anybody have any tips on how not to lose work?

I have been working on 3 illustrations simultaneously and have needed to have all 3 open to switch between frequently. In the midst of furiously working away I have not once but TWICE accidentally saved an illustration with the name of one of the others which has then given me 2 versions of one illustration and completely obliterated the first.

Both times I have luckily had an old version of the illustration saved elsewhere but each time this has put me back several hours as I need to go back a few steps to wherever the first other copy was left.

Please tell me somebody else does this and I am not just a complete ninny? Any tips on how to keep work organized and separate while working on it?
#1 - September 11, 2017, 08:30 PM
Books & Cats & Cups of Tea.

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I;m a writer, not an illustrator, but I have done the same thing. The best I have come up with is to save (copy) all the files at the end of each day onto a USB stick. At the very worst,  I will lose one day's work if it happens again...but I am VERY careful now!
Best of luck. (I hope others have some better ideas to offer too.)
#2 - September 11, 2017, 10:58 PM
I've Got Feet!  - Amicus Ink (2017)
My Australia - NLA (2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com
Twitter: @juliekidsbooks

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Not much use, I presume, but I've always saved my documents at least twice and numbered them.
#3 - September 12, 2017, 04:33 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I email everything of importance to myself. I'm on aol which, I pay for, but have many documents saved so it's worth it to me. But you don't need an aol account. Scary to even think of losing work.
#4 - September 12, 2017, 04:44 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Also not an illustrator. Never "save." Always "save as" and add a number so you know which is the latest.

Take a breath and read before you press the button. Rushing  gets us into trouble.
#5 - September 12, 2017, 08:11 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I think my new idea will be to have two actual folders. At the moment, although I save several copies of things at different stages with different titles, they all sit in the same folder. I hope that by having a 'wip' folder and a 'backup' folder separate it might slow me down enough to pay close attention to where and how I am saving things.

I definitely learned a couple of valuable, if incredibly frustrating, lessons from that one!
#6 - September 12, 2017, 11:45 PM
Books & Cats & Cups of Tea.

Members: