SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Good Reads Help

Discussion started on

Twitter:@NadiaAwriter
Poster Plus
Hi Everyone,

I joined Good Reads. I get the newsletter and I am listed on it but what do I do now? In one word,  I am Clueless.

Help!

:umm  :sadcry 
#1 - September 10, 2016, 05:53 AM
Nadia A.
Twitter: @NadiaAwriter
Pirates in the Library (Star Bright Books, Oct 2016)

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Goodreads is a social networking site for readers. The best way an author can participate on Goodreads is to forget about being an author and interact as another book lover--catalog your library there, join groups, etc. Don't regard it as a promotional venue. And if after you look around you decide it doesn't interest you, there's no rule saying you have to stay there. Find a social media outlet you enjoy more.

Have you taken a minute to explore the site? There are plenty of links there on how to use Goodreads--check the sidebar on the right side of the Home page, in particular this one to start: https://www.goodreads.com/about/us?rel=nofollow
#2 - September 10, 2016, 06:51 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Everything Marissa said, but I also wanted to add that GR is a terrific site for authors as well. If you have published work be sure to set up an author page for yourself. It's free and easy and is a great way for readers to find out more about you.  I've made many good connections on the site with fans, teachers, librarians, ect. It's also a wonderful place to find new books you might be interested in reading.  :flowers2
#3 - September 10, 2016, 02:18 PM
A Smidgen of Sky (Harcourt 2012)
A Sliver of Sun (book #2)
 A Million Ways Home (Scholastic 2014)
 www.diannawinget.com
Twitter@DiannaMWinget

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Do be aware that some of the reviews can be kind of mean and sometimes clueless. If you have published work, realize that you'll get your share of 1-star as well as 5-star reviews.

IMO, a writer does not have the same freedom on Goodreads that a non-writer does. For us, bashing or even negatively reviewing a book online comes with consequences, considering you may someday find yourself querying that book's agent, subbing to that book's publisher, or sitting next to that author on a panel. Many authors will 4- or 5-star books they love (and, frankly, books for friends), but will simply skip reviewing anything they don't feel they can praise heartily. 
#4 - September 10, 2016, 04:13 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nevada
I h ave used Goodreads to get reviews for two of my books. It's a lot of work, and can be costly. Not everyone  that you give a  book to reviews it,  and you'll find that some of your books are sold on sites like Amazon, but it was an interesting way to reach out to people.
#5 - September 21, 2016, 09:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I think GoodReads is very handy for keeping lists of books you've read as well as those you'd like to read. Just start typing titles into the top search bar and a picture of the book comes up for you to click on, which in turn adds it to your list. From there you can choose whether you want to rate or review it. If you want to have friends on there (to keep up with what they are reading), you can type in names and send them a request. There are no rigid requirements, just have fun with it!
#6 - September 22, 2016, 11:21 AM
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

What mrh said.

It's a site that I avoid these daya--especially if I want to find joy in life and keep writing. :) Don't we all?
I truly don't trust reviews on Goodreads and abhor the attention-seeking haters.
My books have been bashed on Goodreads by some truly mean people and a few of these same reviewers actually added links to their own sites, with claims of a better book.

Do be aware that some of the reviews can be kind of mean and sometimes clueless. If you have published work, realize that you'll get your share of 1-star as well as 5-star reviews.

IMO, a writer does not have the same freedom on Goodreads that a non-writer does. For us, bashing or even negatively reviewing a book online comes with consequences, considering you may someday find yourself querying that book's agent, subbing to that book's publisher, or sitting next to that author on a panel. Many authors will 4- or 5-star books they love (and, frankly, books for friends), but will simply skip reviewing anything they don't feel they can praise heartily. 

#7 - September 22, 2016, 11:36 AM
THESE THINGS COUNT! award-winning nature series Albert Whitman
TWIGS (YA)  Merit Press
www.alisonashleyformento.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nevada
The users' nature has changed since it was bought by  Amazon, about 3 years ago. More trolls. More people trying to promote their work at the expense of others.
#8 - September 22, 2016, 12:01 PM

Twitter:@NadiaAwriter
Poster Plus
Thanks for all the responses.
I started adding books to my list, so I will see how it goes.
 :eyeballs
#9 - September 28, 2016, 11:31 AM
Nadia A.
Twitter: @NadiaAwriter
Pirates in the Library (Star Bright Books, Oct 2016)

Members: