SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

WordPress for website?

Discussion started on

Hi, everyone,

I'm sorry to be such a question box.

Anyway, I'd like to ask: do you or did you use WordPress to set up your author website?

My tech-savvy nephew advised me to use a utility on Google to do it, as it offers free hosting. Does anyone have experience with that? When I look up website dev features on Google, I seem to get things that appear geared to tech types and have stuff I don't understand.

Thanks so much.

Gatz
#1 - January 12, 2017, 10:36 AM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I use WordPress.org and am quite pleased with it, though I need to go in and redo the themes. I'm fine with obtaining hosting elsewhere.
#2 - January 12, 2017, 12:32 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nevada
If you use a free utility to do it, you will get the out-of-the box installation, which has some security issues that make it easy for some bad person to find and take over your site.  If you want to spend about $20-$25, let me know, and I'll put you in touch with the person that I use.

Alan
#3 - January 12, 2017, 02:10 PM

I use Wordpress.

The option you share sounds interesting--but it's one I'd need help with. 

Good luck.
#4 - January 16, 2017, 06:20 AM
Sarah Blake Johnson, MFA
http://sarahblakejohnson.blogspot.com/
Crossings (2017, Cedar Fort)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I also use Wordpress.org. (love it!) but I do not use free hosting.
#5 - January 16, 2017, 08:33 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Book Friends Bookshop
KidLit Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nevada
I guess it all depends on how you intend to use your website. For example if you should add a membership feature or accept payments the need for securing your site is much more important. If you use it the same way you're using your current site, it doesn't matter much.

But, there is no free lunch in websites. If you don't pay for hosting, you agree to terms that actually will hurt your sales if you are getting a lot of traffic. That's because as you become more successful the host provider sells information about you to competitors.

#6 - January 16, 2017, 08:41 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Hi Gatz,

I say do yourself a favour and set yourself up properly right from the get go.

Buy your perfect domain and hosting (many hosting providers will give you the domain for free when you sign up) to give your site a professional feel. This way your site will be www.myawesomesite.com vs. one with a bunch of clunky extensions.

There are many great hosts out there. Check out BlueHost, HostGator, GoDaddy or eHost to name a few. You will hear stories that people hate one and love another...everyone is going to have a slightly different experience. Check out their sites and choose the one that appeals to you the most. Most have one button click setup for Wordpress.

I use Wordpress and it has been a great experience so far. I use a free theme (Spacious) that was easy to setup and has been easy to maintain and change. Wordpress has easy to install plugins for everything under the sun (things like analytics, security, SEO, web store, etc, etc).

I hope this helps.

C.D. O'Dell

@CDOwrites
www.societyofheroes.com
#7 - February 08, 2017, 10:31 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Gatz - I use wordpress.org for work (I'm a librarian) and wordpress.com for my personal author website.  I will tell you that setting up wordpress.org is a huge ordeal. Wordpress.com is much simpler, although it isn't quite as customizable without paying.  But the admin mode looks nearly identical between the two.  I would recommend using Wordpress.com (hosting is free, then you can pay something like $12/year for a domain name) if you maybe know basic html but aren't familiar with things like PHP, databases, FTP, etc.  Unless your nephew wants to help you install wordpress.org :)

My author website if you want to have a look or have any questions: http://katespofford.wordpress.com (obviously, I haven't paid for a custom domain name)

Kate
#8 - February 11, 2017, 09:58 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm a fan of Wordpress dot com, too. It's very user friendly if you keep it simple. I use a free theme and pay a little bit for my domain name and to keep it ad-free. Otherwise, I don't use any apps or extras or html. I like being able to control everything on my site, and to edit pictures and text whenever I choose.
#9 - February 26, 2017, 05:42 AM
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

I use WordPress and love it!  :running :running I started out in blogger and to be honest that was just find for a while. I really enjoy the freedom with WordPress so I love fiddling with themes and making things look nice. The Wordpress interface is nice an intuitive to use, I think, and a lot of people use it so it's easy to get help :)
#10 - February 26, 2017, 08:05 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I had someone else set up my website. They used wordpress and I am happy with it.
#11 - February 26, 2017, 01:28 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
Interesting thread. I'm preparing to start my website and blog. How much should I expect to pay for hosting? (Hope it's okay to ask the question here).
Thank you.
#12 - February 28, 2017, 08:41 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Zoraida-rivera, you would get more views and more answers if you started a thread with a topic line asking your question. People who aren't interested in the Wordpress discussion won't see your question otherwise.
#13 - March 01, 2017, 08:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
Thank you, AnneB.
#14 - March 01, 2017, 03:03 PM

Members: