SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

So how does #MSWL day work?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
I saw on #MSWL that the next #MSWL day is Feb 8. I Googled it, but turned up a blank besides the fact of agents and editors tweeting their wishlists. If you find a match, do you reply to the tweet? Or query them and mention the #MSWL?
#1 - January 21, 2017, 10:25 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
#MSWL is for Agents and Editors to post what they are looking for on Twitter. They can do it anytime they like but every so often they have a big #MSWL day where Twitter is blasted with the current wishes from the Agents and Editors. Most Editors are posting for Agents to know whom to pitch to.

This is NOT for writers to pitch. Totally frowned upon and against the rules. But should you see an agent who is looking for time traveling monkey's on a journey to save planet Gnu and you have a book on gorilla's working on a time/space machine, then you know to research this agent because you are on the same wavelength.

Do your research on agents before you send to them and use the guidelines posted on their websites. Just remember to mention this falls in their #MSWL in your query letter or even in the subject line of your email.
#2 - January 21, 2017, 10:47 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
What June said. This is the agents (and some editors) posting their wishes on one day, instead of just randomly, like they do the rest of the time.

Do NOT pitch anyone on Twitter. Query them the normal way, following guidelines, and DO say in your query that you saw their #MSWL tweet on _______, and therefore you're querying your book on that topic, or of that type.

Do take MSWL with a slight grain of salt. Some of their "wishes" are very, very whimsical. I know plenty of querying writers who feel they've matched a #MSWL item to a T and still get a form R. There could be a lot of reasons. Maybe the agent got a ton of queries responding to that same tweet. Maybe, along with the wish for a topic or type of book, they have so envisioned the type of *execution* they want, that when yours is invariably not that, they reject. At least, that's the theory a friend came up with.  :shrug
#3 - January 21, 2017, 11:24 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Totally agree with June and mrh. Most important rule: Don't Tweet them about their post. It's basically a handy way to update what they're looking for. And if you have such a finished and polished manuscript--adding the #MSWL on your query can help distinguish you in the slush pile.   :pickme
#4 - January 21, 2017, 12:03 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Excellent! Thanks guys
#5 - January 21, 2017, 02:20 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Just adding that I got my agent when she posted on #MSWL that she'd be open for two days because she was enjoying the event. (She'd been closed to queries for several months.) I slid my query in and got an offer.

I think it's worth checking #MSWL just for any re-openings like that.

:goodluck
#6 - January 21, 2017, 04:54 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Members: